RCEI: An API for Remote Control of Narrative Environments
The proposal of this research project is to develop a standard connection mechanism to make narrative environments and the external systems that control them interoperable. Thanks to a new communication interface called RCEI, different knowledge-based storytelling systems will be able to perform interactive drama using different narrative environments that were available. The controller has a reasonable level of granularity, being the only additional requirement the development of valid adapters for both extremes of the connection. Open source implementation of this protocol and language is provided in order to save extra parsing and serializing efforts and make software more interoperable.
KeywordsGame Based Interfaces Interactive Digital Storytelling Virtual Environments and Intelligent Medias
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Peinado, F., Navarro, A.: RCEI, A Remote-Controlled Environments Interface (2007), http://federicopeinado.com/projects/rcei
- 2.Peinado, F.: Knowledge-Intensive Interactive Digital Storytelling system (2007), http://federicopeinado.com/projects/kiids/
- 3.Magerko, B., Laird, J.E.: Building an Interactive Drama Architecture. International Conference on Technologies for Interactive Digital Storytelling and Entertainment. Darmstadt, Germany (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Young, M., et al.: Zocalo (2007), http://zocalo.csc.ncsu.edu/
- 5.Vernieri, T.M.: Web Services Approach to Generating and Using Plans in Configurable Execution Environments. M.Sc. thesis, Liquid Narrative Group. North Carolina State University. Raleigh, NC, USA (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Zubek, R.: Shadow Door: Neverwinter Nights NPC Control Interface (2003), http://www.zubek.net/robert/software/shadow-door/
- 7.BioWare: Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Compilation Pack (DVD-ROM). Atari (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Stieger, I.: Neverwinter Nights Extender (2004), http://www.nwnx.org/