A Robust Method for Near Infrared Face Recognition Based on Extended Local Binary Pattern
Face recognition is one of the most successful applications in biometric authentication. However, methods reported in the literature still suffer from some problems which prevent the further development in face recognition. This paper presents a novel robust method for face recognition under near infrared (NIR) lighting condition based on Extended Local Binary Pattern (ELBP), which solves the problems produced by variations of illumination rightly, since the NIR images are insensitive to variations of ambient lighting, and ELBP can extract adequate texture features form the NIR images. By combining the local feature vectors, a global feature vector is formed and as the global feature vectors extracted by ELBP operator often have very high dimensions, a classifier has been trained using the AdaBoost algorithm to select the most representative features for better performance and dimensionality reduction. Compared with the huge number of features produced by ELBP operator, only a small part of the features are selected in this paper, which saves much computation and time cost. The comparison with the results of classic algorithms proves the effectiveness of the proposed method.
KeywordsFace recognition Near Infrared (NIR) Extended Local Binary Pattern (ELBP) local feature vector global feature vector AdaBoost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zhao, W.Y., Chellappa, R., Phillips, P.J., Rosenfeld, A.: Face recognition: A Literature Survey. ACM Computing Surveys, 399–458 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Timo, A., Abdenour, H., Matti, P.: Face Recognition with Local Binary Patterns. In: Pajdla, T., Matas, J(G.) (eds.) ECCV 2004. LNCS, vol. 3021, pp. 469–481. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, Y.G., Wang, Y.H., Tan, T.N.: Combining Statistics of Geometrical and Correlative Features for 3D Face Recognition. British Machine Vision Association 1, 391–395 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Moghaddam, B., Pentland, A.: Beyond Eigenface: Probabilistic Matching for Face Recognition. In: IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 30–35 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Rapid Object Detection Using a boosted cascade of simple features. In: Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2001)Google Scholar