The Global-Local Transformation for Invariant Shape Representation
We present the GlobalLocal (GL) transformation for closed planar curves. With this new transformation we can represent shape by means of two dimensional manifolds (surfaces) embedded into the unit cube. We explore some useful properties of the transform space and we demonstrate its high expressive power. We justify the high potential of the resulting invariant shape representations in object recognition by providing experimental results using the Kimia silhouette database.
KeywordsGlobal-Local transformation Shape representation Shape recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bengtsson, A., Eklundh, J.: Shape representation by multiscale contour approximation. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 13, 85–93 (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Ikebe, Y., Miyamoto, S.: Shape design, representation, and restoration with splines. In: Fu, K., Kunii, T. (eds.) Picture Engineering. LNCS, pp. 75–95. Springer, Heidelberg (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.Witkin, A.P.: Scale-space filtering. In: Proceedings of the 8th Int’l Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1019–1022 (1983)Google Scholar
- 8.Asada, H., Brady, M.: The curvature primal sketch. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 8, 2–14 (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Mokhtarian, F., Mackworth, A.K.: Scale-based description and recognition of planar curves and two-dimensional shapes. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 8, 34–43 (1986)Google Scholar
- 10.Mokhtarian, F., Mackworth, A.K.: A theory of multiscale, curvature-based shape representation for planar curves. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 14, 789–805 (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Blum, H.: A transformation for extracting new descriptors of shape. Models for the Perception of Speech and Visual Forms. MIT Press, Cambridge (1967)Google Scholar
- 15.Giblin, P.J., Kimia, B.B.: On the intrinsic reconstruction of shape from its symmetries. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 25, 895–911 (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Sebastian, T.B., Klein, P.N., Kimia, B.B.: Recognition of shapes by editing their shock graphs. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 26, 550–571 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Sebastian, T.B., Klein, P.N., Kimia, B.B.: On aligning curves. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 25, 116–125 (2003)Google Scholar