Real-Time Subspace-Based Background Modeling Using Multi-channel Data
Background modeling and subtraction using subspaces is attractive in real-time computer vision applications due to its low computational cost. However, the application of this method is mostly limited to the gray-scale images since the integration of multi-channel data is not straightforward; it involves much higher dimensional space and causes additional difficulty to manage data in general. We propose an efficient background modeling and subtraction algorithm using 2-Dimensional Principal Component Analysis (2DPCA) , where multi-channel data are naturally integrated in eigenbackground framework  with no additional dimensionality. It is shown that the principal components in 2DPCA are computed efficiently by transformation to standard PCA. We also propose an incremental algorithm to update eigenvectors to handle temporal variations of background. The proposed algorithm is applied to 3-channel (RGB) and 4-channel (RGB+IR) data, and compared with standard subspace-based as well as pixel-wise density-based method.
KeywordsGaussian Mixture Model Background Subtraction Background Modeling Global Illumination Subtraction Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Friedman, N., Russell, S.: Image segmenation in video sequences: A probabilistic approach. In: Proc. Thirteenth Conf. Uncertainty in Artificial Intell (UAI) (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Stauffer, C., Grimson, W.: Adaptive background mixture models for real-time tracking. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Fort Collins, CO, pp. 246–252 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Han, B., Comaniciu, D., Davis, L.: Sequential kernel density approximation through mode propagation: Applications to background modeling. In: Asian Conference on Computer Vision, Jeju Island, Korea (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Kong, H., Wang, L., Teoh, E.K., Li, X., Wang, J.G., Venkateswarlu, R.: Generalized 2d principal component analysis for face image representation and recognition. Neural Networks: Special Issue 5–6, 585–594 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Xu, A., Jin, X., Jiang, Y., Guo, P.: Complete two-dimensional pca for face recognition. In: Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition, Hong Kong, pp. 459–466 (2006)Google Scholar