XML Data Compatibility from the Ground Up
While XML may have emerged as the de facto format of data exchanged by peers, it faces the exact same evolutionary challenges that has plagued preceding lingua francas. As peers grow organically, they will inevitably generalize or specialize the XML messages they give and take, at the risk of breaking down existing relationships. If anything, change-induced outages are more likely to occur due to XML, since it promotes loose-coupling. To ensure that peers are interoperable, we lay down some ground rules of compatibility, by generally applying set theory on the extensions of the OWL classes/properties representing XML concepts/relations. Specifically, we take a hand-in-glove approach where the statements of compatibility (based on RIF-esque rules) tag along as corollaries to those of XML (based on OWL ontologies). Along the lines of two-pass compilers, we first parse the XML Infoset into an intermediate OWL representation, prior to analyzing the semantics therein.
KeywordsCompatibility Rule Element Declaration subClassOf Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0. W3C Recommendation (August 16, 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.XML Schema Part 0: Primer Second Edition. W3C Recommendation (October 28, 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Web Services Description Language Version 2.0 Part 0: Primer (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.OWL Web Ontology Language Reference. W3C Recommendation (February 10, 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.RIF Core Design. W3C Working Draft (March 30, 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.SWRL: A Semantic Web Rule Language. W3C Member Submission (May 21, 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Berners-Lee, T.: Experience with N3 rules. W3C Rules Workshop (April 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Core/Slotted Conditions. W3C RIF-WG Wiki (June 28, 2007)Google Scholar
- 9.XML Information Set, 2nd (edn.) W3C Recommendation (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.XML To OWL XSLT. http://geocities.com/karthick_psu/xml-to-owl.xsl
- 11.Serialized Schema For Schemas. http://geocities.com/karthick_psu/xss-owl
- 12.XML Semantic Rules. http://geocities.com/karthick_psu/xml-rules.pdf