Querying the Semantic Web with SWRL
The SWRLTab is a development environment for working with SWRL rules in Protégé-OWL. It supports the editing and execution of SWRL rules. It also provides mechanisms to allow interoperation with a variety of rule engines and the incorporation of user-defined libraries of methods that can be used in rules. Several built-in libraries are provided, include collections of mathematical, string, and temporal operators, in addition to operators than can be used to effectively turn SWRL into a query language. This language provides a simple but powerful means of extracting information from OWL ontologies. Used in association with a relational data importation tool that we have developed called DataMaster, this query language can be also used to express knowledge-level queries on data imported from relational databases.
KeywordsRelational Database Query Language Rule Engine International Semantic SWRL Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berners-Lee, T.: The Semantic Web, Scientic American (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.OWL Overview: http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/
- 3.SWRL Submission: http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/
- 5.Knublauch, H., Fergerson, R.W., Noy, N.F., Musen, M.A.: The Protégé OWL Plugin: An Open Development Environment for Semantic Web applications. In: Third International Semantic Web Conference, Hiroshima, Japan (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.SWRL Built-in Specification: http://www.daml.org/rules/proposal/builtins.html
- 9.O’Connor, M.J., Knublauch, H., Tu, S.W., Grossof, B., Dean, M., Grosso, W.E., Musen, M.A.: Supporting Rule System Interoperability on the Semantic Web with SWRL. In: Fourth International Semantic Web Conference, Galway, Ireland (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.de Laborda, C.P., Conrad, S.: RelationalOWL - A Data and Schema Representation Format Based on OWL. Conceptual Modelling 43, 89–96 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.O’Connor, M.J., Shankar, R.D., Tu, S.W., Nyulas, C., Parrish, D.B., Musen, M.A., Das, A.K.: Using Semantic Web Technologies for Knowledge-Driven Querying of Biomedical Data. In: AIME 2007. 11th Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2007)Google Scholar