Benefits of Plugin-Based Heuristic Optimization Software Systems
Plugin-based software systems are the next step of evolution in application development. By supporting fine grained modularity not only on the source code but also on the post-compilation level, plugin frameworks help to handle complexity, simplify application configuration and deployment, and enable users or third parties to easily enhance existing applications with self-developed modules without having access to the whole source code.
In spite of these benefits, plugin-based software systems are seldom found in the area of heuristic optimization. Some reasons for this drawback are discussed, several benefits of a plugin-based heuristic optimization software system are highlighted and some ideas are shown, how a heuristic optimization meta-model as the basis of a thorough plugin infrastructure for heuristic optimization could be defined.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beck, K., Gamma, E.: Contributing to Eclipse. Addison-Wesley, London, UK (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Cox, B.: Planning the software industrial revolution. IEEE Software 7(6) (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Hall, R.S., Cervantes, H.: An OSGi Implementation and Experience Report. In: Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Holm, C., Krüger, M., Spuida, B.: Dissecting a C# Application – Inside SharpDevelop. Apress (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.McAffer, J., Lemieux, J.-M.: Eclipse Rich Client Platform: Designing, Coding, and Packing Java Applications. Addison-Wesley, London, UK (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.McIllroy, M.: Mass produced software components. In: McIllroy, M. (ed.) Proceedings of the Nato Software Engineering Conference, pp. 138–155 (1968)Google Scholar
- 7.OSGi Alliance: About the OSGi Service Platform. Technical Report, OSGi Alliance (2005), http://www.osgi.org
- 8.OSGi Alliance: OSGi Service Platform Specification (Release 4). Technical Report, OSGi Alliance (2006), http://www.osgi.org
- 9.Osherove, R.: Creating a Plug-in Framework. Technical Report, Microsoft Developer Network (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Osherove, R.: Search Dynamically for Plug-ins. Technical Report, Microsoft Developer Network (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Shaver, M., Ang, M.: Inside the Lizard: A look at the Mozilla Technology and Architecture. Technical Report (2000), http://www.mozilla.org
- 12.Shaver, M., Ang, M.: Eclipse Platform Technical Overview. Technical Report, Object Technology International (2003), http://www.eclipse.org