Multilingual Web Retrieval Experiments with Field Specific Indexing Strategies for WebCLEF 2006 at the University of Hildesheim
Experiments with the analysis and extraction of the HTML structure of web documents were carried out for WebCLEF 2006. In addition, blind relevance feedback was applied. As for WebCLEF 2005, a language indepen dent indexing strategy was pursued. We experimented with HTML title, H1 element and other elements emphasizing text. Our index contained title and H1, emphasized elements, full and partial content. The best results with the WebCLEF 2005 topics were achieved with a strong weight on the title-element and a very small weight on emphasized text leading to a marginal improvement over the best post submission runs for the mixed-monolingual task at Web CLEF 2005. For the WebCLEF 2006 topics, improved results were achieved for manually generated topics. The best performance for manual topics for WebCLEF 2006 was achieved with a strong weight on both HTML title as well as H1 elements, and a decreased weight for the other elements. Blind relevance feedback could not yet improve the results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balog, K., Azzopardi, L., Kamps, J., Rijke, M.: Overview of WebCLEF 2006, LNCS, vol. 4730, pp. 803–819, Springer, Heidelberg (2007) Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, L., Ye, S., Li, X.: Template Detection for Large Scale Search Engines. In: Proc ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 1094–1098. ACM Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Hackl, R., Mandl, T., Womser-Hacker, C.: Mono- and Cross-Lingual Retrieval Experiments at the University of Hildesheim. In: Peters, C., Clough, P.D., Gonzalo, J., Jones, G.J.F., Kluck, M., Magnini, B. (eds.) CLEF 2004. LNCS, vol. 3491, pp. 165–169. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Jensen, N., Hackl, R., Mandl, T., Strötgen, R.: Web Retrieval Experiments with the EuroGOV Corpus at the University of Hildesheim. In: Peters, C., Gey, F.C., Gonzalo, J., Müller, H., Jones, G.J.F., Kluck, M., Magnini, B., de Rijke, M., Giampiccolo, D. (eds.) CLEF 2005. LNCS, vol. 4022, pp. 837–845. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kamps, J.: Web-centric language models. In: Proc. 14th ACM CIKM 2005, pp. 307–308. ACM, New York (2005)Google Scholar