Intrinsic Mean for Semi-metrical Shape Retrieval Via Graph Cuts
We address the problem of describing the mean object for a set of planar shapes in the case that the considered dissimilarity measures are semi-metrics, i.e. in the case that the triangle inequality is generally not fulfilled. To this end, a matching of two planar shapes is computed by cutting an appropriately defined graph the edge weights of which encode the local similarity of respective contour parts on either shape. The cost of the minimum cut can be interpreted as a semi-metric on the space of planar shapes. Subsequently, we introduce the notion of a mean shape for the case of semi-metrics and show that this allows to perform a shape retrieval which mimics human notions of shape similarity.
KeywordsDynamic Time Warping Dissimilarity Measure Shape Space Shape Match Shape Retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boykov, Y., Kolmogorov, V.: An experimental comparison of min-cut/max-flow algorithms for energy minimization in vision. IEEE PAMI 26(9), 1124–1137 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Cremers, D., Soatto, S.: A pseudo-distance for shape priors in level set segmentation. In: Paragios, N. (ed.) IEEE 2nd Int. Workshop on Variational, Geometric and Level Set Methods, Nice, pp. 169–176 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Gdalyahu, Y., Weinshall, D.: Flexible syntactic matching of curves and its application to automatic hierarchical classication of silhouettes. IEEE PAMI 21(12), 1312–1328 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Klassen, E., Srivastava, A., Mio, W., Joshi, S.H.: Analysis of planar shapes using geodesic paths on shape spaces. IEEE PAMI 26(3), 372–383 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Latecki, L.J., Lakämper, R.: Shape similarity measure based on correspondence of visual parts. IEEE PAMI 22(10), 1185–1190 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Manay, S., Cremers, D., Hong, B.-W., Yezzi, A., Soatto, S.: Integral invariants for shape matching. IEEE PAMI 28(10), 1602–1618 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Michor, P., Mumford, D.: Riemannian geometries on spaces of plane curves. J. of the European Math. Society (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Pennec, X.: Intrinsic statistics on Riemannian manifolds: Basic tools for geometric measurements. Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision 25(1), 127–154 (2004) (A preliminary appeared as INRIA RR-5093, January 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Schmidt, F.R., Töppe, E., Cremers, D., Boykov, Y.: Efficient shape matching via graph cuts. In: Energy Minimization Methods in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (to appear)Google Scholar
- 11.Sharvit, D., Chan, J., Tek, H., Kimia, B.: Symmetry-based indexing of image databases (1998)Google Scholar