A Distributed Metaheuristic for Solving a Real-World Scheduling-Routing-Loading Problem
- 633 Downloads
In this paper a real and complex transportation problem including routing, scheduling and loading tasks is presented. Most of the related works only involve the solution of routing and scheduling, as a combination of up to five different types of VRPs (Rich VRP), leaving away the loading task, which are not enough to define more complex real-world cases. We propose a solution methodology for transportation instances that involve six types of VRPs, a new constraint that limits the number of vehicles that can be attended simultaneously and the loading tasks. They are solved using an Ant Colony System algorithm, which is a distributed metaheuristic. Results from a computational test using real-world instances show that the proposed approach outperforms the transportation planning related to manual designs. Besides a well-known VRP benchmark was solved to validate the approach.
KeywordsVehicle Route Problem Pheromone Trail Homogeneous Platform Generic Vehicle Route Problem Near Neighborhood Heuristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Toth, P., Vigo, D.: The Vehicle Routing Problem. Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications. SIAM, Philadelphia (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Blasum, U., Hochstätter, W.: Application of the Branch and Cut Method to the Vehicle Routing Problem. Universität zu Köln, BTU Cotbus (May15, 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Gambardella, L., Taillar, E., Agazzi, G.: MACS-VRPTW: A Multiple Ant Colony System for Vehicle Routing Problems with Time Windows. Technical Report IDSIA. IDSIA-06-99. Lugano, Switzerland (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Mingozzi, A., Vallet, A.: An exact Algorithm for Period and Multi-Depot Vehicle Routing Problems. Department of Mathematics, University of Bologna, Bolonga, Italy (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Archetti, C., Mansini, R., Speranza, M.: The Vehicle Routing Problem with capacity 2 and 3, General Distances and Multiple Customer visits. In: ORP 2001, Paris (September 26-29, 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Taillard, E., Laport, G., Gendreau, M.: Vehicle Routing Problem with Multiple Use of Vehicles. Centre de Recherche sur les transports. Publicacin CRT-95-19 (March 1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Taillard, E.: A Heuristic Column Generation Method For the Heterogeneous Fleet VRP. Istituto Dalle Moli di Studi sull Inteligenza Artificiale, Switzerland. CRI-96-03 (May 1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Psinger, D., Ropke, S.: A general Heuristic for Vehicle Routing Problems. DIKU, University of Copenhagen (February 25, 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Bräysy, O.: A Reactive Variable Neighborhood Search Algorithm for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows. Working paper, SINTEF Applied Mathematics, Department of Optimization, Norway (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Berger, J., Barkaoui, M., Bräysy, O.: A Parallel Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows. Working Paper, Defense Research Establishment Valcartier, Canada (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Homberger, J., Gehring, H.: Two Evolutionary Meta-heuristics for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows. Infor. 37, 297–318 (1999)Google Scholar