Strategies and Economies for Greenhouse Gas Mitigation in Agriculture
Agriculture can make significant contributions to climate change mitigation by (a) increasing soil organic carbon (SOC) sinks, (b) reducing GHG emissions, and (c) off-setting fossil fuel by promoting biofuels. The latter has the potential to counter-balance fossil fuel emissions to some degree, but the overall impact is still uncertain compared to emissions of non-CO2 GHGs, which are likely to increase as production systems intensify. Agricultural lands also remove CH4 from the atmosphere by oxidation, though less than forestlands (Tate et al. 2006; Verchot et al. 2000), but this effect is small compared to other GHG fluxes (Smith 2004).
KeywordsSoil Organic Carbon Climate Change Mitigation Carbon Price Soil Carbon Sequestration Zero Tillage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dumanski J (2008) Commentary: The changing face of soil and water conservation. Keynote Presentation from the XVII Meeting of the Brazilian Society for Management and Conservation of Soil and Water, Rio de Janeiro, AugustGoogle Scholar
- IPCC (2000) Land-use, land-use change and forestry. Special Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 375pp. http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/sres/land_use/index.htm
- IPCC (2007) Climate change: the physical science base. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/ar4-wg1.htm
- Stern N (2007) The economics of climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 667pp. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/independent_reviews/stern_review_economics_climate_change/sternreview_index.cfm
- USEPA (2006) Global mitigation of non-CO2 greenhouse gases. US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), Washington. http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/ECS/IEW2006/docs/2006PPT_Fawcett.pdf
- Verchot LV (2007) Opportunities for climate change mitigation in agriculture. A report to the UNFCCC Secretariat. Financial and Technical Support Programme. unfccc.int/files/cooperation_and_support/financial_mechanism/application/pdf/verchot.pdfGoogle Scholar