Classic Cryptanalysis Applied to Exons and Introns Prediction
Prediction of exonic and intronic regions is an important problem of bioinformatics, which has been solved with a set of medium accuracy coding measures. In this work, we propose a new methodology for the prediction of exons and introns based on a cryptanalysis method of Kasiski, using variants of three classical coding measures: codon usage, amino acid usage, and codon preference. We validated our approach testing a set of 178 sequence of different length, improving the prediction of exons level reported by Fickett. Additionally we introduce the first results of introns prediction with an accuracy level of 83.4%.
KeywordsIntronic Region Code Model Synonymous Codon Nucleic Acid Research Codon Preference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Griffiths, A., Gelbart, W., Lewontin, R., Miller, J.: Modern Genetic Analysis, 2nd edn (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Santos, A.: Criptoanalisis del Código Genético. Universidad de la Coruña. Tesis de Maestria (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Staden, R.: Codon preference and its use in identifying protein coding regions in long dna sequences. Nucleic Acids Research (1982)Google Scholar
- 4.McCaldon, P., Argos, P.: Proteins: Structure, Function and Genetics 4, 99–122 (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Gebbie, S.: A survey of the Mathematics of Cryptology. Masther’s Thesis. University of the Witwatersrand, Johanesburg (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Software Predictor de Genes, http://augustus.gobics.de/