On Dynamic Multicast Trees for Stormless Binding Update in Network Mobility
Mobile IP (MIP) is designed for supporting mobile nodes. The technology does not sufficiently handle NEtwork MObility (NEMO). The NEMO Basic Support (NBS)  ensures session continuity for all the nodes in a MObile NETwork (MONET). Since the protocol is based on MIP, when used to support multicast for NEMO, it inherits the same fundamental problems as MIP, such as tunnel convergence. Recently, Prefix Delegation (PD)-based multicast  has been proposed for the multicast Route Optimization (RO) scheme in NEMO. However, the Binding Update (BU) storm is generated by PD-based multicast, whenever an MR migrates to a new foreign network. In this paper, hence, we propose the multicast RO scheme with stormless BU in NEMO environments.
KeywordsMulticasting in NEMO Network Mobility (NEMO) Prefix Delegation (PD)-based multicasting Improved Prefix Delegation (IPD) Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Devarapalli, V., Wakikawa, R., Petrescu, A., Thubert, P.: Network Mobility (NEMO) Basic Support Protocol. RFC 3963. IETF (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Park, K., Han, S., Kim, K., Hong, J.: Dynamic Multicast Tree Construction for NEMO. Internet Draft, draft-park-nemo-dyn-multicast-tree-00.txt. Internet Engineering Task Force (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Perkins, C.: IP Mobility Support. RFC 2002. Internet Engineering Task Force (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, D.B., Perkins, C.: Mobility Support in IPv6. Internet Draft, draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-12.txt. Internet Engineering Task Force (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Janneteau, C., Petrescu, A., Olivereau, A., Lach, H.-Y.: IPv6 Multicast for Mobile Networks with MLD-Proxy. Internet Draft, draft-janneteau-nemo-multicast-mldproxy-00.txt. Internet Engineering Task Force (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Montenegro, G.: Bi-directional tunneling for Mobile IP. Internet Draft, draft-montenegro-tunneling-00.txt. Internet Engineering Task Force (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, K., Park, J., Kim, H.: Route Optimization for Mobile Nodes in Mobile Network based on Prefix Delegation. In: Proceeding of VTC 58th, pp. 2035–2038. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ernst, T., Lach, H.-Y.: Network Mobility Support Terminology. Internet Draft, draft-ietf-nemo-terminology-02.txt. Internet Engineering Task Force (2004)Google Scholar