Affine Systems of Equations and Counting Infinitary Logic
We study the definability of constraint satisfaction problems (CSP) in various fixed-point and infinitary logics. We show that testing the solvability of systems of equations over a finite Abelian group, a tractable CSP that was previously known not to be definable in Datalog, is not definable in an infinitary logic with counting and hence that it is not definable in least fixed point logic or its extension with counting. We relate definability of CSPs to their classification obtained from tame congruence theory of the varieties generated by the algebra of polymorphisms of the template structure. In particular, we show that if this variety admits either the unary or affine type, the corresponding CSP is not definable in the infinitary logic with counting. We also study the complexity of determining whether a CSP omits unary and affine types.
KeywordsPolynomial Time Constraint Satisfaction Problem Homomorphic Image Winning Strategy Direct Power
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dalmau, V.: Linear datalog and bounded path duality of relational structures. Logical Methods in Computer Science 1(1) (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Larose, B., Loten, C., Tardif, C.: A characterisation of first-order constraint satisfaction problems. In: LICS, pp. 201–210 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Bulatov, A.: Mal’tsev constraints are tractable. Technical Report PRG-RR-02-05, Computing Laboratory, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Dalmau, V., Kolaitis, P., Vardi, M.: Constraint satisfaction, bounded treewidth, and finite variable logics. In: Van Hentenryck, P. (ed.) CP 2002. LNCS, vol. 2470, pp. 311–326. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Kolaitis, P., Vardi, M.: A game-theoretic approach to constraint satisfaction. In: Proc. 17th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI- 2000, pp. 175–181 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Hobby, D., McKenzie, R.: The Structure of Finite Algebras. Volume 76 of Contemporary Mathematics. American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I. (1988)Google Scholar
- 11.Larose, B., Zádori, L.: Bounded width problems and algebras. Algebra Universalis (to appear)Google Scholar
- 12.Larose, B., Valeriote, M.: personal communication (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.Burris, S., Sankappanavar, H.: A course in universal algebra. In: Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 78, Springer, New York (1981)Google Scholar