Designing Viewpoint Awareness for 3D Collaborative Virtual Environment Focused on Real-Time Manipulation of Multiple Shared Objects
In some collaborative manipulation activities – for example, medical experts making a diagnosis based on a 3D reconstruction of a human organ – remote participants may tailor their views on the shared object to their particular needs and task. This implies that each user has her viewpoint on the object. Awareness of viewpoint is then necessary both to coordinate each other and to understand remote users’ activities. This work investigates how to provide the remote viewpoint awareness in a 3D collaborative desktop in which multiple shared objects can be independently positioned and manipulated to accomplish a common single activity. Preliminary results of ergonomic evaluations of the proposed metaphors are also provided.
Keywordsviewpoint 3D virtual desktop manipulation of 3D objects
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dyck, J., Gutwin, C.: Awareness. In: Collaborative 3D Workspaces. ACM Graphics Interface (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Valin, S., Francu, A., Trefftz, H., Marsic, I.: Sharing Viewpoints in Collaborative Virtual Environments. In: HICSS-34 Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Schafer, W.A., Bowman, D.A.: Evaluating the effects of frame reference on spatial collaboration using desktop collaborative virtual environments. Virtual Reality, vol. 7 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Dumas, C., Degrande, S., Saugis, G., Chaillou, C., Plénacoste, P., Viaud, M.L.: Spin: a 3-D Interface for Cooperative Work. Virtual Reality Society Journal (May 1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Harrison, B.L. Ishii, H. Vincent, K.J.: Buxton: Transparent Layered User Interfaces: An Evaluation of a Display Design to Enhance Focused and Divided Attention. In: CHI 1995, pp. 317–324 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Goebbels, G., Göbel, M.: On Collaboration in Distributed Virtual Environments. The Journal of Three Dimensional Images 14(4), 42–47 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Gutwin, C., Greenberg, S.: Design for individuals, design for groups: tradeoffs between power and workspace awareness. Computer Supported Cooperative Work, pp. 207–216 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Dourish, P., Bellotti, V.: Awareness and coordination in shared workspace. ACM Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 107–114 (1992)Google Scholar
- 14.Stach, T., Gutwin, C., Pinelle, D., Irani, P.: Rich Embodiments for Improving Awareness in Distributed Groupware. Technical Report HCI-TT-06-01 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Yang, H.: Multiple perspectives for collaborative navigation. In: CVE. Extended abstracts for the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computer Systems, Springer, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.Park, K. S., Kapoor, A., Leigh, J.: Lessons Learned from Employing Multiple Perspectives In: A Collaborative Virtual Environment for Visualizing Scientific Data. CVE CA USA (2000)Google Scholar