Word Processing in Spanish Using an English Keyboard: A Study of Spelling Errors
This article describes a study of spelling errors made by writers while typing in Spanish using an English keyboard. The most important contribution of this study is the identification of a profile of errors made by writers using a word processor and an English keyboard to write in Spanish. The study revealed that a large number of the errors are related with words that have a character such as á, é, í, ó, ú or ñ. Another important finding of the study was that a substantial number of errors (approximately one third) are not corrected and that backspace was used to correct approximately two thirds of all the words corrected. The study supports the conclusion that the lack of straightforward support for characters such as á, é, í, ó, ú or ñ in the Spanish language can cause a significant number of errors.
Keywordsspelling errors detection spelling errors correction spell checking word processing Spanish writing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Galletta, D., Ducikova, A., Everard, A., Jones, B.: Does Spell-checking Software Need a Warning Label? Communications of the ACM, 48(7) (July 2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Huang, J.H., Powers, D.: Large Scale Experiments on Correction of Confused Words. In: Computer Science Conference, Proceedings 24th. Australasian, pp. 77–82 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Powers, D.W.: Learning and Application of Differential Grammars. In: CoNLL 1997: Computational Natural Language Learning, ACL Association for Computational Linguistics, pp. 88–96 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Fallman, D.: The Penguin: Using the Web as a Database for Descriptive and Dynamic Grammar and Spell Checking. In: CHI 2002 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Boshakov, I.A., Gelbukh, A.: On Detection of Malapropisms by Multistage Collocation Testing. In: 8th International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Durham, I., Lamb, D., Saxe, J.: Spelling Corrections in User Interfaces. Communications of the ACM. 26(10) (October 1983)Google Scholar
- 7.Damerau, F.J.: A Technique for Computer Detection and Correction of Spelling Errors. Communications of the ACM 7(3) (March 1964)Google Scholar
- 8.Diaz, M.I.: A Study of Spelling Errors in Word Processing: Detection and Correction. M.S. Thesis, University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico (2006)Google Scholar