Entrepreneurial Digital Photography - A Case Study for Design Research Method in the Emerging Indian Market
This paper describes a research method termed “Contextual Invention” used by Hewlett Packard Research Labs for design research in emerging markets like India. The core value of this method lies in its multi-disciplinary approach towards design research. The process takes inputs from design, business and technology in order to reach a comprehensive solution. It involves a deep understanding of user needs and cultural context  to drive design ideas, business modeling and technological investigations. It aims to inspire and generate new technology inventions with high social and business value. The method has been developed and tested through a project, namely, “Entrepreneurial Digital Photography in India”. This process describes how needs and opportunity spaces were identified in the domain of digital photography within the Indian context. It goes on to delineate steps that led to the mapping of those user needs onto opportunity spaces and culminates into implementable guidelines and research findings.
Keywordsdesign research multi-disciplinary contextual invention iterative process user research digital photography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Frohlich, D.M., Greving, W.: Contextual invention: An approach, workshop and study outline for HP Labs India. HP Working paper (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Prabhu, G., Frohlich, D.M., Greving, W.: Contextual Invention: A multi-disciplinary approach to develop business opportunities and design solutions. FutureGround 2004, Melbourne, Australia. Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Kim, S., Chung, A., Ok, J., Myung, I., Joo Kang, H., Woo, J.K., Kim, M.J.: Communication enhancer—appliances for better communication in a family. In: Pers Ubiquit Comput., pp. 221–226. Springer-Verlag London Limited, London (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Greving, W., Ramani, S., Gopal, G.: A strategy for contextual design applied to emerging markets. Internal HP Labs Working paper (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Balanovic, M., Chu, L.L., Wolff, G.J.: Storytelling with digital photos. In: Proceedings of CHI (The Hague, April 2000), pp. 564–571. ACM Press, New York (2000)Google Scholar