A Method of Design Improvement with the Structured Product Concept
The product development in service science will become important for manufacturing industry. Therefore, the introduction of the "service science" concept is necessary in product development. This paper proposes a design improvement method based on HCD (Human Centered Design) concept, which can be introduced to middle/small enterprises, with the structured product concept. A case study of the operation panel design of home security system is discussed in this paper. This method is effective not only in making new products but also in improving developed products. Making a structured product concept is also effective to get consensus among the developers.
KeywordsHuman Centered Design Usability Product concept
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kurosu, M.: Usability. Usability of Information Service. Science and technology of information (in Japanese) 54(8), 384–390 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Sakao, T., Shimomura, Y.: Service Engineering. A Novel Engineering Discipline for Producers to Increase Value Combining Service and Product, Journal of Cleaner Production, Special issue on sustainable production and consumption - making the connection (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Sakao, T., Shimomura, Y.: Service Engineering. MVC (Model for Balancing Values and Costs). A Fundamental Model to Design Environmentally Conscious Services. In: Proceeding of the 4th International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing (Eco Design 2005), IEEE Computer Society, Tokyo (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Matsumoto, K., Tutaya, K.: Fujitsu’s Activities for Achieving Universal Design. Fujitsu (in Japanese) 54(3), 168–172 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Yamaoka, T.: Introduction of Human Design Technology (in Japanese), vol. 4. Morikita Publisher, Tokyo (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Yamaoka, T.: Introduction of Human Design Technology. Morikita Publisher, Tokyo(in Japanese), pp. 15–19 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Hirata, I., Okada, M., Kumada, T., Shimono, F., Yoshikawa, Y., Yamaoka, T.: Case of panel design improvement with Usability eveluation. The reseach forum for Gerontechnology, Japan (in Japanese), pp. 25–28 (2005)Google Scholar