Differential Structure in Models of Multiplicative Biadditive Intuitionistic Linear Logic
In the first part of the paper I investigate categorical models of multiplicative biadditive intuitionistic linear logic, and note that in them some surprising coherence laws arise. The thesis for the second part of the paper is that these models provide the right framework for investigating differential structure in the context of linear logic. Consequently, within this setting, I introduce a notion of creation operator (as considered by physicists for bosonic Fock space in the context of quantum field theory), provide an equivalent description of creation operators in terms of creation maps, and show that they induce a differential operator satisfying all the basic laws of differentiation (the product and chain rules, the commutation relations, etc.).
KeywordsCategorical Model Natural Transformation Annihilation Operator Creation Operator Monoidal Category
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benton, N., Bierman, G., de Paiva, V., Hyland, M.: Linear λ-calculus and categorical models revisited. In: Martini, S., Börger, E., Kleine Büning, H., Jäger, G., Richter, M.M. (eds.) CSL 1992. LNCS, vol. 702, Springer, Heidelberg (1993)Google Scholar
- Blute, R., Panangaden, P., Seely, R.: Fock space: A model of linear exponential types (Corrected version of Holomorphic models of exponential types in linear logic). In: Main, M.G., Melton, A.C., Mislove, M.W., Schmidt, D., Brookes, S.D. (eds.) Mathematical Foundations of Programming Semantics. LNCS, vol. 802, Springer, Heidelberg (1993)Google Scholar
- Fiore, M.: Generalised species of structures: Cartesian closed and differential structure. Draft (2004)Google Scholar
- Fiore, M.: Mathematical models of computational and combinatorial structures (Invited address for). In: Sassone, V. (ed.) FOSSACS 2005. LNCS, vol. 3441, pp. 25–46. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- Fiore, M., Gambino, N., Hyland, M., Winskel, G.: The cartesian closed bicategory of generalised species of structures. Preprint (2006)Google Scholar
- Hyvernat, P.: A logical investigation of interaction systems. PhD thesis, Université de la Mediterranée, Aix-Marseille 2 (2005)Google Scholar
- Lafont, Y.: Logiques, catégories et machines. PhD thesis, Université Paris, 7 (1988)Google Scholar
- Melliès, P.-A.: Categorical models of linear logic revisited. Theoretical Computer Science (to appear)Google Scholar
- Schalk, A.: What is a categorical model of linear logic? Notes for research students (2004)Google Scholar
- Seely, R.: Linear logic, *-autonomous categories and cofree coalgebras. In: Applications of Categories in Logic and Computer Science. Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 92 (1989)Google Scholar
- Sweedler, M.: Hopf algebras. Benjamin, NY (1969)Google Scholar