A Study on User Satisfaction Evaluation About the Recommendation Techniques of a Personalized EPG System on Digital TV
With the growing popularity of digital broadcasting, viewers the have chance to watch various programs. However, they may have trouble choosing just one among many programs. To solve this problem, various studies about EPG and Personalized EPG have been performed. In this study, we reviewed previous studies about EPG, Personalized EPG and the results of recommendation evaluations, and evaluated PEPG system’s recommendation, which was implemented as working prototype. We collected preference information about categorys and channels with 30 subjects and executed evaluation through e-mail. Recall and Precision were calculated by analyzing recommended programs from an E-mail questionnaire, and an evaluation of subjective satisfaction was conducted. As a result, we determined how much the result of an evaluation reflects viewer satisfaction by comparing the variation of subjects’ satisfaction and the variation of objective evaluation criteria.
KeywordsEPG PEPG Satisfaction Digital TV DTV
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Basu, C., Hirsh, H., Cohen, W.: Recommendation as classification: Using social and content-based information in recommendation. In: Recommender Systems. Papers from 1998 Workshop. Technical Report WS-98-08, AAAI Press, California (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Billsus, D., Pazzani, M.: Learning collaborative information filters. In: International Conference on Machine Learning, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Eronen, L., Vuorimaa, P.: User interfaces for digital television: a navigator case study. In: Proceedings of the working conference on Advanced visual interfaces, Palermo Italy, pp. 276–279 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Ardissono, L., Gena, C., Torasso, P., Bellifemine, F., Difino, A., Negro, B.: User Modeling and Recommendation Techniques for Personalized Electronic Program Guides. In: Human-Computer Interaction Series. Personalized Digital Television, vol. 6, pp. 3–26 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Pazzani, M.J.: A Framework for Collaborative, Content-Based and Demographic Filtering. Artificial Intelligence Review, 13(5-6) (December 1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Zimmerman, J., Kurapati, K., Buczak, A.L., Schaffer, D., Gutta, S., Martino, J.: TV Personalization System. In: Human-Computer Interaction Series. Personalized Digital Television, vol. 6, pp. 27–51 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.SkyLife.: http://www.skylife.co.kr
- 13.TiVo.: http://www.tivo.com