An Experimental Evaluation of Information Visualization Techniques and Decision Style
This study aims to investigate the extent to which information visualization (IV) techniques and decision style affect decision performance and user preferences in a decision support environment. The study adopted an experimental method. Findings from this study provide theoretical, empirical and practical contributions. The results showed that there were significant differences in decision performance and user preference across IV techniques and decision style. The findings have important implications for the decision support system (DSS) designers, and provide important research issues for future work.
Keywordsinformation visualization techniques decision style human computer interaction decision support system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dehaemer, M.J.: Vulcans, Klingons and humans: the relevance of individual differences for information system. In: Proceedings of the 1991 conference on SIGCPR, pp. 156 –163 (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Ghosh, Shneiderman.: Zoom-only vs. overview-detail pair. A study in browsing techniques as applied to patient histories. University of Maryland Technical Report CS-TR-4028. (1999), Retrieved from http://hcil.cs.umd.edu/trs/99-12/99-12.html
- 6.Mintzberg, H.: Planning on the left side and managing on the right. Harvard Business Review 4, 49–58 (1976)Google Scholar
- 8.Mason, R.R.O.: Managing with Style: A Guide to Understanding, Assessing, and Improving Decision Making. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco (1987)Google Scholar
- 10.Speier, C., Morris, M.G.: The Influence of query interface design on decision making performance. MIS Quarterly 27(3), 397–423 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Te’eni, D., Carey, J., Zhang, P.: Human Computer Interaction Developing Effective Organizational Information Systems. Wiley, Chichester (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Turban, E., Aronson, J.E.: Decision Support Systems and Intelligent Systems, 6th edn., pp. 73–77. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2001)Google Scholar