Collaborative Design for Strategic UXD Impact and Global Product Value
Experts in the field of HCI have spoken at length about how to increase the strategic influence of User Experience Design (UXD) teams in industry  . Others have talked about how to build a usability or user experience team in industry , and others have offered courses in managing HCI organizations  . At the same time, other experts have spoken about the importance of making products usable and desirable for international audiences  and the value of “offshoring” their usability efforts . Few though have discussed the value and process for an embedded UXD Group functioning as an internal consultancy to different product teams within their organizations. This paper presents both how the consultancy model can increase the strategic effectiveness of UXD inside a company, and how, by leveraging partners internationally, such groups can broaden the usefulness, usability, and desirability of their products to a more global audience.
KeywordsUser Experience Design Organizational development User Experience Teams Management Internationalization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, R.I.: Managing User Experience Groups. Second Offering, UCSC Extension, Cupertino, CA (2006), http://www.well.com/user/riander/mguxgrps.html
- 2.Bias, R.G., Mayhew, D.J.: Cost-Justifying Usability. Academic Press, INC, San Diego (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Huh, B.-L., Henry.: PhD. Developing usability team in a company: Multiple perspectives from industries, In: Conference Proceedings, Asia-Pacific CHI (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Engardio, P., Einhorn, B.: Outsourcing Innovation, BusinessWeek (March 21, 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Innes, J., Friedland, L.: Re-positioning User Experience as a Strategic Process. CHI 2004 tutorial (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Moore, G.A.: Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution. Portfolio, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Rohn, Janice.: Managing a User Experience Team. In: Proceedings of the Nielsen Norman Group Conference, Seattle, WA (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Schaffer, E.: Offshore Usability: Helping Meet the Global Demand? Interactions, p. 12 (March – April, 2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Williams, D.M.L.: Co-Design, China and the Commercialisation of the Mobile User Interface, ACM “Interactions” Special Gadget Issue, XIII(5) (October 2006)Google Scholar