Complex Permittivity Estimation by Bio-inspired Algorithms for Target Identification Improvement
Identification of aircrafts by means of radar when no cooperation exists (Non-Cooperative Target Identification, NCTI) tends to be based on simulations. To improve them, and hence the probability of correct identification, right values of permittivity and permeability need to be used. This paper describes a method for the estimation of the electromagnetic properties of materials as a part of the NCTI problem. Different heuristic optimization algorithms such as Genetic Algorithms (GA) and Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO), as well as other approaches like Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), are applied to the reflection coefficient obtained via free-space measurements in an anechoic chamber. Prior to the comparison with real samples, artificial synthetic materials are generated to test the performance of these bio-inspired algorithms.
KeywordsNCTI ANN GA PSO permittivity permeability free-space measurements
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schmitt, K.-P., Wölfle, E.: Non-Cooperative Target Identification by Radar; State of the Art and Future. In: Proc. RTO Meeting on Non-Cooperative Air Target Identification Using Radar, Mannheim, Germany (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Miller, R., Shephard, D.: Aspects of NCTR for Near-Future Radar. In: Proc. of SET-080 Target Identification and Recognition Using RF Systems, Oslo, Norway (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Montiel, I., Poyatos, D., González, I., Escot, D., García, C., Diego, E.: FASCRO Code and the Synthetic Database Generation Problem. In: Proc. of SET-080 Target Identification and Recognition Using RF Systems, Oslo, Norway (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Rihaczek, A.W., Hershkowitz, S.J.: Theory and Practice of Radar Target Identification. Artech House, Boston (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Musil, J., Zacek, F.: Microwave Measurements of Complex Permittivity by Free-Space Methods and Their Applications. Elsevier, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Montiel, I.: INTA’S Free Space NRL arch System and Calibration for Absorber Material Characterization. In: AMTA 17th Meeting and Symposium, Williamsburg, VA, pp. 323–328 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Robinson, J., Rahmat-Samii, Y.: Particle Swarm Optimization in Electromagnetics. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 52(2) (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Christodoulou, C., Georgiopoulos, M.: Applications of Neural Networks in Electromagnetics. Artech House, Boston (2001)Google Scholar