Grain Size Measurement of Crystalline Products Using Maximum Difference Method
Texture analysis methods are widely used in various monitoring and measurement tasks in machine vision solutions. In this paper we present a novel method for the determination of grain size distributions in the manufacturing processes of crystalline products. Our method, maximum difference histogram (MDH), is based on statistical gray level differences in the texture images. Using this method, it is possible to estimate the grain size distributions in the images. It is also possible to monitor the average grain sizes in the image series acquired during the crystallization process. This is carried out by determining the center of gravity (CoG) of the distribution represented by MDH. Experimental results obtained from images acquired from a carbohydrate crystallization process reveal that the proposed method is useful in in-line grain size measurement tasks.
KeywordsGray Level Grain Size Distribution Texture Analysis Crystalline Product Crystal Size Distribution
- 4.Lepistö, L., Kunttu, I., Autio, J., Visa, A.: Classification Method for Colored Natural Textures Using Gabor Filtering. In: Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing, pp. 397–401 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Lepistö, L., Kunttu, I., Autio, J., Visa, A.: Rock image retrieval and classification based on granularity. In: Proceedings of 5th International Workshop on Image Analysis for Multimedia Interactive Services (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Pietikäinen, M., Ojala, T., Silven, O.: Approaches to texture-based classification, segmentation and surface inspection. In: Chen, C.H., Pau, L.F., Wang, P.S.P. (eds.) Handbook of Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision, 2nd edn., pp. 711–736. World Scientific, Singapore (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Rao, A.R., Lohse, G.L.: Towards a texture naming system: identifying relevant dimensions of texture. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Visualization, San Jose, California, pp. 270–227 (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Tüceryan, M., Jain, A.K.: Texture Analysis. In: Chen, C.H., Pau, L.F., Wang, P.S.P. (eds.) Handbook of Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision, pp. 235–276. World Scientific, Singapore (1993)Google Scholar