A Comparison Between ANN Generation and Training Methods and Their Development by Means of Graph Evolution: 2 Sample Problems
This paper presents a study in which a new technique for automatically developing Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) by means of Evolutionary Computation (EC) tools is compared with the traditional evolutionary techniques used for ANN development. The technique used here is based on network encoding on graphs and also their performance and evolution. For this comparison, 2 different real-world problems have been solved using various tools, and the results are presented here. According to them, the results obtained with this technique can beat those obtained with other ANN development tools.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Rabuñal, J.R., Dorado, J. (eds.): Artificial Neural Networks in Real-Life Applications. Idea Group Inc., Hershey (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Gruau, F.: Genetic micro programming of neural networks. In: Kinnear Jr., K.E. (ed.) Advances in Genetic Programming, pp. 495–518. MIT Press, Cambridge (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Luke, S., Spector, L.: Evolving Graphs and Networks with Edge encoding: Preliminary Report. In: Koza, J. (ed.) Late Breaking Papers at the Genetic Programming 1996 Conference (GP96), pp. 117–124. Stanford Bookstore, Stanford (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Poli, R.: Evolution of Graph-like Programs with Parallel Distributed Genetic Programming. In: Genetic Algorithms: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Belew, R., McInerney, J., Schraudolph, N.: Evolving networks: using the genetic algorithm with connectioninst learning. In: Proceedings of the Second Artificial Life Conference, New York, pp. 511–547. Addison-Wesley, London (1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Marshall, S.J., Harrison, R.F.: Optimization and training of feedforward neural networks by genetic algorithms. In: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms, pp. 39–43. Springer, Heidelberg (1991)Google Scholar
- 14.Nolfi, S., Parisi, D.: Evolution of Artificial Neural Networks. In: Handbook of brain theory and neural networks, 2nd edn., pp. 418–421. MIT Press, Cambridge (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.Rivero, D., Dorado, J., Rabuñal, J.R., Pazos, A., Pereira, J.: Artificial Neural Network Development by means of Genetic Programming with Graph Codification Enformatika. Transactions on Engineering, Computing and Technology, 209–214 (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Cantú-Paz, E., Kamath, C.: An Empirical Comparison of Combinations of Evolutionary Algorithms and Neural Networks for Classification Problems, IEEE Transactions on systems, Man and Cybernetics – Part B: Cybernetics, 915–927 (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Mertz, C.J., Murphy, P.M.L.: UCI repository of machine learning databases (2002), http://www-old.ics.uci.edu/pub/machine-learning-databases