Drainage reality in terrains with higher-order Delaunay triangulations
Terrains are often modeled by triangulations, which ideally should have ‘nice shape’ triangles and reality of drainage in terrains (few local minima and drainage lines in the bottoms of valleys). Delaunay triangulation is a good way to formalize nice shape, and if higher-order Delaunay triangulations are used, drainage reality can be achieved. Two heuristics are presented, one for reducing the number of local minima and one for reducing the number of valley edges and components. The empirical results show how well they perform on real-world data; on average we see a 16% improvement over known algorithms.
KeywordsLocal Minimum Steep Descent Delaunay Triangulation Drainage Network Drainage Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. R. Shewchuk, Lecture notes on Delaunay mesh generation, University of California at Berkeley, (1999).Google Scholar
- Kreveld M van, GOGO project homepage. http://www.cs.uu.nl/centers/give/geometry/compgeom/gogo
- Gudmundsson J, Hammar M, Kreveld M van (2002) Higher order Delaunay triangulations. Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications 23:85–98Google Scholar
- Gudmundsson J, Haverkort H, Kreveld M van (2005) Constrained higher order Delaunay triangulations. Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications 30:271–277Google Scholar
- Kok T de, Kreveld M van, Löffler M (2007) Generating realistic terrains with higher-order Delaunay triangulations. Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications 36:52–67Google Scholar
- Yu S, Kreveld M van, Snoeyink J (1997) Drainage queries in TINs: from local to global and back again. In: Kraak MJ, Molenaar M (eds) Advances in GIS research II: Proc. of the 7th Int. Symp. on Spatial Data Handling, pp. 829–842Google Scholar
- Berg M de, Bose P, Dobrint K, Kreveld M van, Overmars M, Groot M de, Roos R, Snoeyink J, Yu S (1996) The complexity of rivers in triangulated terrains. In: Proc. 8th Canad. Conf. Comput. Geom. 325–330Google Scholar
- McAllister M, Snoeyink J (1999) Extracting consistent watersheds from digital river and elevation data. In: Proc. ASPRS/ACSM Annu. Conf.Google Scholar
- Ramos EA (1999) On range reporting, ray shooting and k-level construction. In: Proc. 15th Annu. ACM Symp. on Computational Geometry, 390–399Google Scholar