Improved Reinforcement Computing to Implement AntNet-Based Routing Using General NPs for Ubiquitous Environments
In the ubiquitous convergence era, the traffic managements and quality of services will be made much of a role. Because traditional routing mechanisms are lacking scalability and adaptability, a kind of adaptive routing algorithm called AntNet has attracted the attention. AntNet is an adaptive agent-based routing algorithm that imitates the activities of the social insect. In AntNet, there are implementation constraints due to complex arithmetic calculations for determining a reinforcement value. Besides, a housekeeping core in network processors will be overwhelmed by increasing routing workload for a processing of agents. In this paper, we propose a new reinforcement computing algorithm to overcome these problems. This can be implemented efficiently on packet forwarding engines of conventional network processors. The simulation results show that the proposed AntNet is more adaptive and effective in the performance of the implementation than the original AntNet.
KeywordsSource Node Destination Node Original Algorithm Good Path Subtractive Term
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dorigo, M., Di Caro, G.: AntNet: Distributed Stigmergetic Control for Communication Networks. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research 9, 317–365 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Baran, B., Sosa, R.: A New Approach for AntNet routing. In: Proc. of Ninth International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, pp. 303–308 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Intel Corp.: Intel IXP1200 Network Processor Family Hardware Reference Manual. Intel Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Halfhill, T.R.: Lexra’s NetVortex Does Networking. Microprocessor Report 13(12), 15–19 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Halfhill, T.R.: Sitera Samples Its First NPU. Microprocessor Report 13(12), 7–10 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Clearwater Networks.: Introducing the CNP810 Family of Network Services Processors. Clearwater Networks (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Kurose, J.F., Ross, K.W.: Computer Networking. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar