DCAR: Dynamic Congestion Aware Routing Protocol in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
In mobile ad hoc networks, most of on demand routing protocols such as DSR and AODV do not deal with traffic load during the route discovery procedure. To achieve load balancing in networks, many protocols have been proposed. However, existing load balancing schemes do not consider the remaining available buffer size of the interface queue, which still results in buffer overflows by congestion in a certain node which has the least available buffer size in the route. To solve this problem, we propose a load balancing protocol called Dynamic Congestion Aware Routing Protocol (DCAR) which monitors the remaining buffer length of all nodes in routes and excludes a certain congested node during the route discovery procedure. We also propose two buffer threshold values to select an optimal route selection metric between the traffic load and the minimum hop count. Through simulation study, we compare DCAR with other on demand routing protocols and show that the proposed protocol is more efficient when a network is heavily loaded.
KeywordsAd hoc networks Routing protocols Load balancing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C.E., Bhagwat, P.: Highly Dynamic Destination Sequenced Distance-vector Routing for Mobile Computers. Comp. Commun. Rev (October 1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.-C.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (DSR). Internet Draft, IETF Mobile Ad hoc Networks (MANET) Working GroupGoogle Scholar
- 3.Perkins, C.E., Royer, E.: Ad-hoc on-demand Distance Vector Routing. In: Proc. 2nd IEEE Wksp. Mobile Comp. Sys. App., February 1999, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, S.-J., Gerla, M.: Dynamic Load-Aware Routing in Ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICC, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Hassanein, H., Zhou, A.: Routing with Load Balancing in Wireless Ad hoc Networks. In: ACM MSWiM, July 2001, ACM Press, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Altalhi, A.H., Richard III., G.G.: Load-Balanced Routing through Virtual Paths. In: IPCCC (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, B.C., et al.: An Ad-hoc Routing Protocol with Minimum Contention Time and Load Balancing. In: IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Tran, D.A., Raghavendra, H.: Routing with congestion awareness and adaptivity in mobile ad hoc networks. In: IEEE WCNC, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.McCanne, S., Floyd, S.: NS network simulator. URL: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns