A Study on Optimal Fast Handover Scheme in Fast Handover for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6) Networks
Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) is protocol for handling routing of IPv6 packets to mobile nodes that have moved away from their home network. However, in MIPv6, the handover process reveals numerous problems manifested by a time-consuming network layer based movement detection and latency in configuring a new care-of address, with confirmation scheme called duplicate address detection (DAD). To reduce the handover latency in standard MIPv6, the fast handover for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6) protocol is proposed. To do this, each time a mobile node moves to a new location, it configures and confirms its temporal IP address during layer 2 handover. In this paper, we study the impact of the address configuration and confirmation procedure on the FMIPv6’s IP handover latency. A mathematical analysis comparing the various parameters is provided to show the benefits of our scheme over the current procedure like standard MIPv6 and FMIPv6.
KeywordsMobile Node Mobile IPv6 Handover Latency Fast Handover Duplicate Address Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6. RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Thomson, S., Narten, T.: IPv6 Stateless Address Auto-configuration. RFC 2462 (Dec. 1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Narten, T., Nordmark, E., Simpson, W.: Neighbor Discovery for IP version 6 (IPv6). RFC 2461 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Koodli, R.: Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6. RFC 4068 (July 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Park, B., Han, Y.-H., Latchmann, H.A.: EAP: New Fast Handover Scheme based on Enhanced Access Point in Mobile IP Networks. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security 6(9), 69–75 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Choi, J.H., Shin, D.Y.: Router Advertisement Cashing in Access Point (AP) for Fast Router Discovery. draft-jinchoi-mobileip-frd-00.txt (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Srinivasan, V., Varghese, G.: Fast Address Lookups Using Controlled Prefix Expansion. ACM Transactions on Computer System 17 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Kawabe, R., Ata, S., Murata, M.: On Performance Prediction of Address Lookup Algorithms of IP Routers through Simulation and Analysis Techniques. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications 2002 (ICC 2002), IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Akyildiz, I.F., et al.: A new Random Walk Model for PCS Networks. IEEE JSAC 18(7), 1254–1260 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Han, Y.H.: Hierarchical Location Chacing Scheme for mobility Managament. Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Korea University (Dec. 2001)Google Scholar