An Evolutionary Approach to Task Graph Scheduling
Effective scheduling is of great importance to parallel programming environments. The aim is to minimize the completion time of task graphs. The completion time of a task graph is directly affected by the length of its critical path. Hence, the trend of an evolutionary approach for task graph scheduling can be biased towards reduction of the critical path. In this paper, a new genetic scheduling algorithm is presented. The algorithm, in the first priority, minimizes the critical path length of the parallel program task graph and in the second priority minimizes the inter-processor communication time. Thereby, it achieves a better scheduling in comparison with the existing approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Baxter, J., Patel, J.H.: The LAST Algorithm: A Heuristic-Based Static Task Allocation Algorithm. In: Proceeding of International Conference on Parallel Processing, vol. 2, pp. 217–222 (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Brest, J., Zumer, V.: A Comparison of the Static Task Graph Scheduling Algorithms. Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Smetanova, Maribor, Slovenia (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.De Jong, K.A., Spears, W.M.: A Formal analysis of the Role of Multi-Point Crossover in Genetic Algorithms (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Dhodhi, M.K., Ahmad, I.: Multiprocessor Scheduling Scheme Using Problem-Space Genetic Algorithms. In: Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Kim, S.J., Browne, J.C.: A General Approach to Mapping of Parallel Computation upon Multiprocessor Architectures. In: Proceeding Of International Conference on Parallel Processing, vol. 2, pp. 1–8 (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Kruatrachue, B., Lewis, T.G.: Duplication Scheduling Heuristics (DSH): A New Precedence Task Scheduler for Parallel Processor Systems. Technical Report. Oregon State University, Corvallis (1987)Google Scholar
- 15.McCreary, C.L., Khan, A.A., Thompson, J.J., McArdle, M.E.: A Comparison of Heuristics for Scheduling DAGS on Multiprocessors. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Parallel Processing Symposium, pp. 446–451 (1994)Google Scholar
- 16.Rinehart, M., Kianzad, V., Bhattacharyya, S.S.: A Modular Genetic Algorithm for Scheduling Task Graphs. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Institute for Advanced Computer Studies, University of Maryland, College Park (2003)Google Scholar
- 20.Wu, M.Y.: MCP Revisited. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of New MexicoGoogle Scholar