Cointegration: Overview and Development
This article presents a survey of the analysis of cointegration using the vector autoregressive model. After a few illustrative economic examples, the three model based approaches to the analysis of cointegration are discussed.The vector autoregressive model is defined and the moving average representation of the solution, the Granger representation, is given. Next the interpretation of the model and its parameters and likelihood based inference follows using reduced rank regression. The asymptotic analysis includes the distribution of the Gaussian maximum likelihood estimators, the rank test, and test for hypotheses on the cointegrating vectors. Finally, some applications and extensions of the basic model are mentioned and the survey concludes with some open problems.
KeywordsUnit Root Asymptotic Distribution Rational Expectation Vector Autoregressive Model Rank Regression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Engle, R.F. and Yoo, B.S. (1991): Cointegrated economic time series: A survey with new results. In: Granger, C.W.J. and Engle, R.F. (Eds.): Long-run economic relations. Readings in cointegration. Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Granger, C.W.J. (1983): Cointegrated variables and error correction models. UCSD Discussion paper 83-13a.Granger, C.W.J. (1983): Cointegrated variables and error correction models. UCSD Discussion paper 83-13a.Google Scholar
- Hansen. L.P. and Sargent, T.J. (1991): Exact linear rational expectations models: Specification and estimation. In: Hansen, L.P. and Sargent, T.J. (Eds.): Rational expectations econometrics. Westview Press, Boulder.Google Scholar
- Johansen, S. (1996): Likelihood-based inference in cointegrated vector autoregressive models. Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Johansen, S. (2006a): Cointegration: a survey. In: Mills, T.C. and Patterson, K. (Eds.): Palgrave handbook of econometrics: Volume 1, Econometric theory. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.Google Scholar
- Johansen, S. (2006b): Representation of cointegrated autoregressive processes with application to fractional processes. Forthcoming in Econometric Reviews.Johansen, S. (2006b): Representation of cointegrated autoregressive processes with application to fractional processes. Forthcoming in Econometric Reviews.Google Scholar
- Lange, T. and Rahbek, A. (2008): An introduction to regime switching time series models. In: Andersen, T.G., Davis, R.A., Kreiss, J.-P. and Mikosch, T. (Eds.): Handbook of Financial Time Series, 871–887. Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Lütkepohl, H. (2006): Introduction to multiple times series analysis. Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, H.B. and Rahbek, A. (2004): Likelihood ratio testing for cointegration ranks in I(2) Models. Forthcoming Econometric Theory.Nielsen, H.B. and Rahbek, A. (2004): Likelihood ratio testing for cointegration ranks in I(2) Models. Forthcoming Econometric Theory.Google Scholar
- Swensen, A.R. (2006): Bootstrap algorithms for testing and determining the cointegrating rank in VAR models. Forthcoming Econometric Theory.Swensen, A.R. (2006): Bootstrap algorithms for testing and determining the cointegrating rank in VAR models. Forthcoming Econometric Theory.Google Scholar
- Watson, M. (1994): Vector autoregressions and cointegration. In: Engle, R.F. and McFadden, D. (Eds.): Handbook of econometrics Vol. 4. North Holland Publishing Company, The Netherlands.Google Scholar