Tsunami surge in a river: a hydraulic jump in an inhomogeneous channel
A tsunami or storm surge propagating in a river is a very energetic phenomenon and not many human constructions can resist it. However studying its propagation can help identify dangerous regions where hopefully human habitat will be avoided. As in a wave guide the tsunami or bore will be influenced by the variable section (depth or width) of the channel. We will not consider here the case of the ocean where the bathymetry plays a crucial role in fixing the wave speed but a channel or river where the depth and width vary slowly compared with the wave length.
KeywordsStorm Surge Vries Equation Tide Amplitude Hydraulic Jump Riemann Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mazumder N. C. and Bose S. (1995). J. of waterway, port, coastal and ocean engineering, 167–175Google Scholar
- Le Hir P. et Silva Jacinto R. (2001). Programme Scientifique Seine-Aval Vol. 2, Editions Ifremer, (2001).Google Scholar
- Caputo J. G. and Stepanyants Y. (2003) Nonlinear processes in geophysics, 10:1–18Google Scholar
- Whitham G. B. (1974) Linear and Nonlinear Waves. J. Wiley & SonsGoogle Scholar
- http://www.comsol.comGoogle Scholar
- Russel J. S., Report on waves, 14th meeting of the British association for the advancement of science (BAAS), 1844.Google Scholar
- Pelinovsky E. N., Stepanyants Yu. A., Talipova T. G. Nonlinear dispersion model of sea waves in the coastal zone. — J. Korean Soc. Coastal Ocean Eng., 1993, v. 5, n. 4, 307–317.Google Scholar
- Pelinovsky E. N., Stepanyants Yu. A. On the estimation of the time of solitons creations from the initial perturbations in the framework of Korteweg-de Vries equation. — Izv. VUZov, Radiofizika, 1981, v. 24, n. 7, 908–911 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Mei C. C. The Applied Dynamics of Ocean Surface Waves. — John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- Stepanyants Yu. A. Relationship between kinetic and potential energies in internal waves in the presence of shear currents. — Sov. Phys. Izvestia. Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 1985, v. 21, n. 6, 518–520 (English translation of the Russian journal).Google Scholar