Preconditioning Representer-based Variational Data Assimilation Systems: Application to NAVDAS-AR
Assimilation of observations into numerical models has emerged as an essential modeling component in geosciences. This procedure requires the solution of large systems of linear equations. Solving these systems in “real-time” or “near-real-time” in a timely manner is still a computational challenge. This paper shows how new methods in computational linear algebra are used to “speed-up” the representer-based algorithm in a variety of assimilation problems, with particular application to the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) Atmospheric Variational Data Assimilation System-Accelerated Representer (NAVDAS-AR) system.
KeywordsOuter Loop Naval Research Laboratory Linear Optimal Problem Variational Data Assimilation Lanczos Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennett AF (2002) Inverse Modeling of the Ocean and Atmosphere. Cambridge University Press, New York NYGoogle Scholar
- Erwig M, Fu Z, Pflaum B (2006) Generic Programming in Fortran. ACM SIGPLAN 2006 Workshop on Partial Evaluation and Program Manipulation: 130–139Google Scholar
- Fisher M (1998) Minimization Algorithms for Variational Data Assimilation. Proceedings of ECMWF Seminar on Recent Developments in Numerical Methods for Atmospheric Modelling, 7–11 September 1998, pp 364–385Google Scholar
- Golub GH, Van Loan CF (1989) Matrix Computations- 2nd ed. Johns Hopkins University Press, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar
- Rosmond T, Xu L (2006) Development of NAVDAS-AR: nonlinear formulation and outer loop tests. Tellus 58A: 45–58Google Scholar
- Saad Y (2003) Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems-2nd ed. SIAM, Philadelphia PAGoogle Scholar
- Xu L, Daley R (2000) Data Assimilation with a Barotropically Unstable Shallow Water System using Representer Algorithms. Tellus 54A: 125–137Google Scholar
- Xu L, Rosmond T, Daley R (2005) Development of NAVDAS-AR: formulation and initial tests of the linear problem. Tellus 57A: 546–559Google Scholar
- Xu L, Langland R, Baker N, Rosmond T (2006) Development of the NRL 4D-Var data assimilation adjoint system. Geophys Res Abs 8: 8773Google Scholar