An All-Detailed Architecture of a RF Wireless Transmitter
It is widely known that (FHSS) frequency-hopped spread spectrum is the mostly used spread technique which uses multilevel modulation and cover both infrastructure field and Ad-Hoc networks. This paper presents the architecture and implementation of a FHSS RF radio transmitter. The complete radio transmitter chain was implemented in which a direct digital frequency synthesize (DDFS) was used for fast frequency hopping and FSK modulation. The radio transmits data in the 900 MHz ISM band at a rate of up to 160 kbps using frequency shift keying (FSK) modulation with frequency hopping at a rate of up to 80 khops/sec. The transmitter is also designed to take part of a detailed transceiver chain, to be modular and reusable in other wireless communication systems.
KeywordsTransmitter FHSS DDFS FSK Reusable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Min, A. Rofougaran, H. Samueli, A. A. Abidi. An all-CMOS architecture for a low-power frequency-hopped 900 MHz spread spectrum transceiver. Proc. of IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, pp. 379–382, 1994.Google Scholar
- P. R. Gray and R. G. Meyer. Future directions in silicon ICs for RF. Proc. of IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference pp. 83–90, May 1995.Google Scholar
- A. A. Abidi. CMOS wireless transceivers: the new wave. IEEE Communications Magazine. pp. 119–124, Aug. 1999.Google Scholar
- B. Razavi. RF Microelectronics. Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River. 87 NJ 1998.Google Scholar
- D. B. Leeson. A simple model of feedback oscillator noise spectrum. Proc. of the IEEE. pp. 329–330, Feb 1966.Google Scholar
- A. Rofougaran, G. Chang, J. J. Rael, J. Y.-C. Chang, M. Rofougaran, P. Chang, M. Djafari, J. S. Min, E. W. Roth, A. A. Abidi, H. Samueli. A single-chip 900 MHz spread-spectrum wireless transceiver in 1µm CMOS-part II: receiver design. IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 535–547, April 1998.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- J. J. Rael. A 915 MHz CMOS frequency synthesizer. Master thesis, Dept. of Electrical Engineering. UCLA 1995.Google Scholar
- Sumit Mohan. Implementation of a versatile baseband FSK processor for fast frequency-hopped spread-spectrum communications Master thesis Department of Electrical Engineering, UCLA, 2000.Google Scholar
- H. Zou. Design and Implementation of a Radio Transceiver for a Fast Frequency Hopped Spread Spectrum testbed. Master thesis, Dept. of Electrical Engineering University of California, 2000.Google Scholar