Smart textiles for automotive: application to airbag development
The study presented here aims at developing a PVDF sensor that can be inserted within a seat-cover fabric. The final objective is to measure accurately the mass of a passenger sitting in a car. The measurement method consists in analyzing the response under compressive stress of a PVDF disc using the resonant frequency of the material. The maximal phase of the sensor at resonant frequency is taken up for each constraint applied. The influence of external parameters (vibrations, temperature variations) has been studied. The position of the sensor in the seat-cover was given starting from an ergonomic study. Tests in real case were carried out. A linear variation of the phase has been shown only taking into account the mass of the subjects’ sitting position.
Keywordsseat-cover fabric PVDF resonant frequency weight automotive airbag
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- VAN LANGENHOVE L., HERTLEER C., Smart textiles in vehicles: a foresight, Journal of Textiles and Apparel. Technology and Management., Volume 3, Issue 4, Winter 2004, 6 pages (2004)Google Scholar
- BAUER F., Method and device for polarizing ferroelectric materials, US Patent 4, 611, 260 (1986)Google Scholar
- PRUDENT O., THIONNET A., GOURGUECHON O., PAJON M., BAKACHA M., RENARD J., Simulation numérique du confort de sièges d’automobiles: comportement mécanique 3D de mousses de polyuréthane; optimisation 2D d’un profil simplifié de sièges, Mec. Ind., Vol. 1, pp 511–520 (2000)Google Scholar
- BAUER F., GRAHAM R.A., Very high pressure behavior of precisely-poled PVDF, Ferroelectrics, Vol. 171, pp 497–518 (1995)Google Scholar
- NGAMALOU, L., BENECH, P., CHAMBEROD, E., Pressure measurement with resonant PVDF or copolymer, Ferroelectrics, Vol. 171, No1–4, pp 217–224 (1995)Google Scholar
- DREAN E., SCHACHER L., BAUER F., ADOLPHE D., “A smart sensor for induced stresses measurement in automotive textiles”, The Fall 2005 Meeting of the Fiber Society, 17–19 October 2005, Newark, NJ, USA, pp 87–89Google Scholar
- YANG B.J., CHEN C.F., LIN Y.H., LIEN I.N., Pressure measurement on the ischial tuberosity of the human body in sitting position and evaluation of the pressure relieving effect of various cushions, Journal of Formosan Medical Association, No83, pp 682–698 (1984)Google Scholar