Hard Metrics from Cayley Graphs of Abelian Groups
Hard metrics are the class of extremal metrics with respect to embedding into Euclidean Spaces: their distortion is as bad as it possibly gets, which is Ω(logn). Besides being very interesting objects akin to expanders and good codes, with rich structure of independent interest, such metrics are important for obtaining lower bounds in Combinatorial Optimization, e.g., on the value of MinCut/MaxFlow ratio for multicommodity flows.
For more than a decade, a single family of hard metrics was known (see [10,3]). Recently, a different such family was found (see ), causing a certain excitement among the researchers in the area.
In this paper we present another construction of hard metrics, different from [10,3], and more general yet clearer and simpler than . Our results naturally extend to NEG and to ℓ1.
KeywordsAbelian Group Linear Code Cayley Graph Linear Distance Hard Metrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arora, S., Lee, J., Naor, A.: Euclidean distortion and the sparsest cut. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, STOC’05, pp. 553–562. ACM Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Chawla, S., Gupta, A., Räcke, H.: Embeddings of negative-type metrics and an improved approximation to generalized sparsest cut. In: Proceedings of the 16’th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA’05, pp. 102–111. ACM Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Gupta, A., Krauthgamer, R., Lee, J.: Bounded Geometries, Fractals, and Low-Distortion Embeddings. In: Proceedings of the 44th Annual Symposium on Foundations of CS, FOCS’03, pp. 534–543 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Khot, S., Naor, A.: Nonembeddability theorems via Fourier analysis. In: Proceedings of 46th Annual Symposium of FOCS 2005, pp. 101–112 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Klein, P., Plotkin, S., Rao, S.: Excluded minors, network decomposition, and multicommodity flow. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 682–690. ACM Press, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Wigderson, A., Xiao, D.: Derandomizing the AW matrix-valued Chernoff bound using pessimistic estimators and applications. In: Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity, Report TR06-105, 13th Year, 105th ReportGoogle Scholar