From Top Coders to Top IT Professionals
This paper presents the history of successes of young Poles in the field of computer science (particularly, in programming) in the past 15 years and indicates the grounds for their outstanding achievements. We will also discuss conditions which should be fulfilled in order for successes of young computer scientists to evolve into achievements in their professional life, corresponding to their abilities and ambition. It seems that Polish experiences are universal enough to be adopted also by some other countries and could be helpful in the process of selecting gifted IT students and in work with them.
KeywordsHigh School Student 45th Annual IEEE Symposium Young Polis Polish Student Inversion Vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Polish Olympiad in Informatics, http://www.oi.edu.pl/
- 2.International Olympiad in Informatics, http://www.ioinformatics.org/
- 3.The ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/
- 4.TopCoder, http://www.topcoder.com
- 5.Google Code Jam (2005), http://www.topcoder.com/pl/?module=Static&d1=google05&d2=overview
- 6.Imagine Cup, http://imaginecup.com/
- 7.The IEEE Computer Society Annual International Design Competition, http://www.computer.org/portal/pages/ieeecs/education/csidc/
- 8.Verhoeff, T., Horváth, G., Diks, K., Cormack, G.: A Proposal for an IOI Syllabus. Teaching Mathematics and Computer Science IV(1), 193–216Google Scholar
- 9.Polish Children’s Fund, http://www.fundusz.org/
- 10.Youth Academy of Informatics, http://www.main.edu.pl
- 11.Mucha, M., Sankowski, P.: Maximum Matchings via Gaussian Elimination. In: Proceedings of the 45th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS 2004) (2004)Google Scholar