An Energy and Distance Aware Data Dissemination Protocol Based on SPIN in Wireless Sensor Networks
One of the major challenges in facing the design of disseminating protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) is to find an energy efficiency way. Recently, several researches have been studied for this issue, and SPMS, that outperforms the well-known protocol SPIN, specially is a representative protocol. Also one of many characters of SPMS is the using of the shortest path to minimize the energy consumption. However, since it repeatedly uses the same path as the shortest path, the maximizing of the network lifetime is impossible, though it reduces the energy consumption. In this paper, we propose a novel data dissemination protocol, called Energy and Distance Aware protocol based on SPIN (EDAS), that guarantees energy-efficient data transmission and maximizes network lifetime. EDAS solves the network lifetime problem by using the residual energy and the efficient distance between nodes to determine a path for data dissemination. The simulation results show that EDAS guarantees energy-efficient transmission and moreover increases the network lifetime by approximately 69% than that of SPMS.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Data Dissemination Protocol Energy Efficiency Lifetime SPMS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kamimura, J., Wakamiya, N., Murata, M.: Energy-Efficient Clustering Method for Data Gathering in Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of BROADNETS (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Khanna, G., Bagchi, S., Wu, Y.-S.: Fault Tolerant Energy Aware Data Dissemination Protocol in Sensor Networks. IEEE Dependable Systems and Networks(DSN), 739–748 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Ravish, K., Xuan, Z., Gunjan, K., Saurabh, B., Coyle Edward, J.: Performance Comparison of SPIN based Push-Pull Protocols. In: IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), IEEE, pp. 3990–3995 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Bhardwaj, M., Garnett, T., Chandrakasan, A.P.: Upper bounds on the lifetime of sensor networks. In: IEEE Intl Conf on Comm., vol. 3, pp. 785–790. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Savvides, A., Han, C., Strivastava, M.: Dynamic fine-grained localization in ad-hoc networks of sensors. In: Proceedings of Mobicom, pp. 166–179 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Huang, T., He, C., Blum, B.M., Stankovic, J.A., Abdelzaher, T.: Range-free localization schemes for large scale sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th annual international conference on Mobile computing and networking, pp. 81–95 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Nasipuri, A., Li, K.: A directionality based location discovery scheme for wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the first ACM international workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, pp. 105–111 (2002)Google Scholar