Part of the Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology book series (CT MICROBIOLOGY, volume 314)
Harnessing NKT Cells for Therapeutic Applications
KeywordsNatural Killer CD1d Molecule Cerundolo Versus
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang DH, Osman K, Connolly J, Kukreja A, Krasovsky J, Pack M, Hutchinson A, Geller M, Liu N, Annable R et al (2005) Sustained expansion of NKT cells and antigen-specific T cells after injection of alpha-galactosyl-ceramide loaded mature dendritic cells in cancer patients. J Exp Med 201:1503–1517PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fujii S, Shimizu K, Smith C, Bonifaz L, Steinman RM (2003) Activation of natural killer T cells by alpha-galactosylceramide rapidly induces the full maturation of dendritic cells in vivo and thereby acts as an adjuvant for combined CD4 and CD8. T cell immunity to a coadministered protein. J Exp Med 198:267–279PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kjer-Nielsen L, Borg NA, Pellicci DG, Beddoe T, Kostenko L, Clements CS, Williamson NA, Smyth MJ, Besra GS, Reid HH et al (2006) A structural basis for selection and cross-species reactivity of the semi-invariant NKT cell receptor in CD1d/glycolipid recognition. J Exp Med 203:661–673PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Naumov YN, Bahjat KS, Gausling R, Abraham R, Exley MA, Koezuka Y, Balk SB, Strominger JL, Clare-Salzer M, Wilson SB (2001) Activation of CD1d-restricted T cells protects NOD mice from developing diabetes by regulating dendritic cell subsets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:13838–13843PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nieda M, Okai M, Tazbirkova A, Lin H, Yamaura A, Ide K, Abraham R, Juji T, Macfarlane DJ, Nicol AJ (2004) Therapeutic activation of Valpha24+Vbeta11+ NKT cells in human subjects results in highly coordinated secondary activation of acquired and innate immunity. Blood 103:383–389PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smith CL, Dunbar PR, Mirza F, Palmowski MJ, Shepherd D, Gilbert SC, Coulie P, Schneider J, Hoffman E, Hawkins R et al (2005a) Recombinant modified vaccinia Ankara primes functionally activated CTL specific for a melanoma tumor antigen epitope in melanoma patients with a high risk of disease recurrence. Int J Cancer 113:259–266PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smyth MJ, Crowe NY, Pellicci DG, Kyparissoudis K, Kelly JM, Takeda K, Yagita H, Godfrey DI (2002) Sequential production of interferon-gamma by NK1.1(+) T cells and natural killer cells is essential for the antimetastatic effect of alpha-galactosylceramide. Blood 99:1259–1266PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Terabe M, Matsui S, Park JM, Mamura M, Noben-Trauth N, Donaldson DD, Chen W, Wahl SM, Ledbetter S, Pratt B et al (2003) Transforming growth factor-beta production and myeloid cells are an effector mechanism through which CD1d-restricted T cells block cytotoxic T lymphocyte-mediated tumor immunosurveillance: abrogation prevents tumor recurrence. J Exp Med 198:1741–1752PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van der Vliet HJ, Molling JW, Nishi N, Masterson AJ, Kolgen W, Porcelli SA, van den Eertwegh AJ, von Blomberg BM, Pinedo HM, Giaccone G, Scheper RJ (2003) Polarization of Valpha24+ Vbeta11+ natural killer T cells of healthy volunteers and cancer patients using alpha-galactosylceramide-loaded and environmentally instructed dendritic cells. Cancer Res 63:4101–4106PubMedGoogle Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2007