Socioeconomic Development and Benefit Sharing in the Euphrates-Tigris River Basin
Futile negotiation processes over water allocation and related disputes over water rights in the Euphrates-Tigris river basin demonstrate that there is a need to create new cooperative frameworks that enable links between cooperation and development. Hence, this chapter commences with the description of the origins and the evolution of the dispute in the region. There are discussions on the merits of the principle of ‘equitable utilization’ and ‘the needs-based approach’ with a specific reference to the Three Stage Plan of Turkey. After analyzing the limitations and shortcomings of existing water allocation mechanisms a more workable solution of ‘sharing the benefits rather than sharing the water itself” is put forward. The Joint Technical Committee meetings are reviewed, suggesting the broadening of its agenda.
KeywordsEuphrates-Tigris river basin socio-economic development cooperation GAP Three Stage Plan benefit-sharing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, E. W., 1986: Water Geopolitics in the Middle East: Key Countries. Conference on U.S. Foreign Policy on Water Resources in the Middle East: Instrument for Peace and Development (Washington D.C.: CSIS): 18–19.Google Scholar
- Beaumont, P., 1992: “Water: A Resource Under Pressure”, in: Nonneman, G. (Ed.): The Middle East and Europe: An Integrated Communities Approach (London: Federal Trust for Education and Research): 183.Google Scholar
- Kibaroğlu, A.; Ünver, O., 2000: “An Institutional Framework for Facilitating Cooperation in the Euphrates-Tigris River Basin”, in: International Negotiation: A Journal of Theory and Practice, 5,2: 311–330.Google Scholar
- Kibaroğlu, A., 2002: Building a Regime for the Waters of the Euphrates-Tigris River Basin (London-The Hague-New York: Kluwer Law International).Google Scholar
- Kliot, N., 1994: Water Resources and Conflict in the Middle East (London: Routledge).Google Scholar
- Kut, G., 1993: “Burning Waters: the Hydropolitics of the Euphrates and Tigris”, in: New Perspectives on Turkey, 9: 3.Google Scholar
- Ünver O.; Gupta, R. K.; Kibaroğlu, A., 2003: Water Development and Poverty Reduction (London-The Hague-New York: Kluwer Law International).Google Scholar
- Wolf, A. T., 1999: ìCriteria for Equitable Allocations: the Heart of International Water Conflictî, in: Natural Resources Forum, 23,3: 30.Google Scholar