Designing an Architecture for Distributed Shared Data on the Grid
Despite the continuous advances of the last years in grid computing, the grid computing programming paradigms are dominated by the message passing concept. There is little support for other paradigms such as shared data or associative programming. In this paper we analyze some of the existing solutions for grid shared data programming and highlight some of their drawbacks. We propose a new architecture and its core features as well as new evaluation means of its behavior in various scenarios including the next generation grid systems. In addition to the simplicity of our solution, we believe that it would allow us to easily apply further extensions.
Keywordsgrid computing distributed shared data programming model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cheung, B.W.L., Wang, C.-L., Lau, F.C.M.: LOTS: a software DSM supporting large object space. In: IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, pp. 225-234 (2004) ISBN: 0-7803-8694-9Google Scholar
- 2.Ryan, J.P., Coghlan, B.A.: SMG: Shared memory for Grids. In: Proceedings of 6th IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, pp. 439–451 (2004), http://www.cs.tcd.ie/coghlan/pubs/pdcs04-06072004-v1.pdf
- 3.Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: The Grid: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Osrael, J., Froihofer, L., Goeschka, K.M.: A Replication Model for Trading Data Integrity against Availabilit. In: The 12th Int. Symp. on Pacific Rim Dependable Computing (PRDC 2006). IEEE CS Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Antoniu, G., Bougé, L., Jan, M.: JuxMem: An Adaptive Supportive Platform for Data Sharing on the Grid. Scalable Computing: Practice and Experience 6, 45–55 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Naimi, M., Trehel, M., Arnold, A.: A log (N) distributed mutual exclusion algorithm based on path reversal. JPDC 34(1), 1–13 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Sopena, J., Legond-Aubry, F., Arantes, L., Sens, P.: A Composition Approach to Mutual Exclusion Algorithms for Grid Applications. In: Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP 2007), vol. 00, p. 65 (2007) ISBN 0-7695-2933-XGoogle Scholar
- 8.Bertier, M., Arantes, L., Sens, P.: Hierarchical token based mutual exclusion algorithms. In: IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, 2004. CCGrid 2004, April 19-22, pp. 539–546 (2004) ISBN: 0-7803-8430-xGoogle Scholar