Line Facility Location in Weighted Regions
In this paper, we present approximation algorithms for the line facility location problem in weighted regions: Given l fixed points in a 2-dimensional weighted subdivision of the plane, with n vertices, find a line L such that the sum of the weighted distances from the fixed points to L is minimized. The weighted region setup is a more realistic model for many facility location problems that arise in practical applications. Our algorithms exploit an interesting property of the problem, that could possibly be used for solving other problems in weighted regions.
KeywordsFacility Location Facility Location Problem Steiner Point Weighted Region Event Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amato, N.M., Goodrich, M.T., Ramos, E.A.: Computing the arrangement of curve segments: Divide-and-conquer algorithms via sampling. In: Proc. 11th Annual CAM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 2000, pp. 705–706 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Daescu, O.: Improved optimal weighted links algorithms. In: Proceedings of ICCS, 2nd International Workshop on Computational Geometry and Applications, pp. 227–233 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Daescu, O., Palmer, J.: Minimum Separation in Weighted Subdivisions. The International J. Computat. Geom. & Appl. (Submitted, 2003) (Manuscript)Google Scholar
- 6.Michel, X.: Cooperative facility location games. In: Proceedings of the eleventh annual ACM-SIAM symposium on Discrete algorithms SODA 2000(2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Megiddo, N., Tamir, A.: Finding Least-Distance Lines. SIAM J. ALG. DISC. MATH. 4(2) (1983)Google Scholar
- 9.Preparata, F.P., Shamos, M.I.: Computational Geometry: An Introduction. Springer, New York (1985)Google Scholar