Mapping the Sacred Landscape of Lahaul – The Karzha Khandroling Mandala
The following chapter discusses the mapping of sacred landscape and ritual space by the example of a pilgrimage route in Lahaul, India. This area is a place of symbolic and ritual significance for Tibetan Buddhists. The popular pilgrimage route around the peak of the holy mountain Drilbu ri transforms the mundane geography of the region into a manala, a cosmic diagram and paradigm of the spiritual structure of the universe.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balokhra JM (1998) The Wonderland Himachal Pradesh. New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Dowman K (1985) Masters of Mahamudra. Songs and Histories of the Eighty-Four Buddhist Siddahs. New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gray DB (2006) Mandala of the Self: Embodiment, Practice, and Identity Construction in the Cakrasmavara Tradition. The Journal of Religious History. Vol.30, No.3, OctoberGoogle Scholar
- Harcourt AFP (1972) The Himalayan Districts of Kooloo, Lahoul and Spiti. New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Huber T (1999) The Cult of Pure Crystal Mountain: Popular Pilgrimage and Visionary Landscape in Southeast Tibet. OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Hutchinson J, Vogel JPh (1933) reprint 1994,. History of the Panjab Hill States. Vol 1,2. LahoreGoogle Scholar
- Klimburg-Salter D (1994) Tucci Himalayan Archives Report, 2: The 1991 Expedition to Himachal Pradesh. East and West New Series Vol. 44 (1), 13–82Google Scholar
- Sahni RN (1994) Lahoul, in the Himalayas. New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Snodgrass A (1985) The Symbolizing of the Stupa. IthacaGoogle Scholar
- Staal F (1982) The Himalayas and the Fall of Religion. In: D. E. Klimburg – Salter, The Silk Route and the Diamond Path. Esoteric Buddhist Art on the Trans-Himalayan Trade Routes. Los Angeles, 38–51Google Scholar
- Stutchbury E (1991) Rediscovering Western Tibet. Gonpa, Chorten and the Continuity of Practice with a Tibetan Community in the Indian Himalaya. PhD Thesis, CanberraGoogle Scholar
- Tobdan (1984) History & Religions of Lahul. New DelhiGoogle Scholar