Scalable IP Routing Lookup in Next Generation Network
Ternary content-addressable memory has been widely used to perform fast routing lookups. It is able to accomplish the best matching prefix problem in O(1) time without considering the number of prefixes and its lengths. As compared to the software-based solutions, the Ternary content-addressable memory can offer sustained throughput and simple system architecture. It is attractive for IPv6 routing lookup. However, it also comes with several shortcomings, such as the limited number of entries, expansive cost and power consumption. Accordingly, we propose an efficient algorithm to reduce the required size of Ternary content-addressable memory. The proposed scheme can eliminate 98 percentage of Ternary content-addressable memory entries by adding tiny DRAM. We also address related issues in supporting IPv6 anycasting.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rekhter, Y., Li, T.: An Architecture for IP Address Allocation with CIDR. RFC 1518 (September 1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Degermark, M., Brodnik, A., Carlsson, S., Pink, S.: Small Forwarding Tables for Fast Routing Lookups. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 1997, Cannes, France, September 1997, pp. 3–14 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Gupta, P., Lin, S., McKeown, N.: Routing Lookups in Hardware at Memory Access Speeds. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 1998, San Francisco, USA (March 1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Huang, N.F., Zhao, S.M., Pan, J.Y.: A Fast IP Routing Lookup Scheme for Gigabit Switch Routers. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 1999, New York, USA (March 1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Srinivasan, V., Varghese, G.: Fast IP lookups using controlled prefix expansion. ACM Trans. On Computers 17, 1–40 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Nilsson, S., Karlsson, G.: IP-Address Lookup Using LC-Tries. IEEE JSAC 17(6), 1083-1029 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Waldvogel, M., Vargnese, G., Turner, J., Plattner, B.: Scalable High Speed IP Routing Lookups. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 1997, Cannes, France, September 1997, pp. 25–36 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Shah, D., Gupta, P.: Fast updating Algorithms for TCAMs. IEEE Micro Mag. 21(1), 36–47 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Merit Networks, Inc. Internet Performance Measurement and Analysis (IPMA) Statistics and Daily Reports, See http://www.merit.edu/ipma/routingtable/
- 11.NLANR Project, See http://moat.nlanr.net/