Enterprise Application Integration – Future Revisited?
In this paper we reflect on enterprise application integration and try to give appreciation of its benefits for the development of future work environments, especially mobile applications. We look at requirements for and opportunities provided by integration concepts and draw conclusions about what integrated environments and enterprise resource planning systems can contribute in terms of serving as a sound and future proof basis for mobile and ubiquitous use of technology. Some of the research issues identified are, not astonishing at all, pointing back to open questions already encountered in database and artificial intelligence projects in past decades. Thanks to the advances of information technology some answers can now be given.
KeywordsMobile Phone Business Process Business Partner Virtual Enterprise Enterprise Resource Planning System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Avison and Wilson 2002]Avison, D., Wilson, D.: IT Failure and the Collapse of One.Tel. In: Traunmüller, R. (ed.) Proceedings of the IFIP 17th World Computer Congress, TC8 Stream on Information Systems: The e-Business Challenge, Kluwer Academic Publisher, Dordrecht (2002)Google Scholar
- [Bozsak et al. 2002]
- [Bullinger and Scheer 2003]Bullinger, H.-J., Scheer, A.-W. (eds.): Service Engineering Entwicklung und Gestaltung innovativer Dienstleistungen. Springer, Heidelberg (2003) ISBN 3-540-43831-9Google Scholar
- [IBM 2003]IBM Competitive Advisor Brochure, can be accessed via http://www-1.ibm.com/mediumbusiness/seas.jsp
- [Milosevic and Bond 1995]Milosevic, Z., Bond, A.: Electronic Commerce on the Internet: What is Still Missing? In: The 5th Annual Conference of the Internet Society, INET 1995, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (June 1995)Google Scholar
- [McNurlin and Sprague 2002]McNurlin, B.C., Sprague, R.H. (eds.): Information Systems Management, 5th edn. Prentice Hall, Pearson Education (2002) ISBN 0-13-034073-1Google Scholar
- [ORACLE 2003]Oracle E-Business Suite: A Roadmap to Better Business Processes, An Oracle White Paper (October 2002), can be accessed via http://www.oracle.com/applications
- [SAP 2003]mySAP Business Suite, can be accessed via http://www.sap.com/solutions
- [Tagg and Quirchmayr 2001]Tagg, R., Quirchmayr, G.: Towards an Interconnection Model for Evolution of Shared Workflows in a Virtual Enterprise. In: Proceedings of Third Int. Conference on Information Integration and Web-Based Applications and Services, Linz, Austria (September 2001)Google Scholar