Propagation Redundancy in Redundant Modelling
Combining mutually redundant models with channelling constraints increases constraint propagation. However, the extra computation efforts of the additional variables and constraints may outweigh the gain of reduction in search space. In fact, many of the constraints in redundant modelling are not only logically redundant but also propagation redundant and hence cannot further reduce search space. We give general theorems for proving propagation redundancy of one constraint with respect to channelling constraints and constraints in the other model. We define a broad form of channelling constraints that are covered by our approach. We illustrate, using problems from CSPLib (http://www.csplib.org/), how detecting and removing propagation redundant constraints can significantly speed up solving behaviour.
KeywordsChannel Function Integer Variable Propagation Redundancy Redundant Constraint Interval Constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abdennadher, S., Rigotti, C.: Automatic generation of rule-based solvers for intentionally defined constraints. IJAIT 11(2), 283–302 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Bessiére, C., Régin, J.: Arc consistency for general constraint networks: preliminary results. In: IJCAI 1997 pp. 398–404 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Choi, C.W., Lee, J.H.M., Stuckey, P. J.: Propagation Redundancy for Permutation Channel. In: IJCAI 2003 (to appear)Google Scholar
- 6.Hnich, B., Kiziltan, Z., Walsh, T.: Modelling a balanced academic curriculum problem. In: Van Hentenryck, P. (ed.) CP 2002. LNCS, vol. 2470, pp. 121–131. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Smith, B.M.: Modelling a permutation problem. Research Report 2000.18, School of Computer Studies, University of Leeds (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Smith, B.M.: Dual models in constraint programming. Research Report 2001.02, School of Computer Studies, University of Leeds (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Brand, S.: Anote on redundant rules in rule-based constraint programming. In: Recent Advances in Constraints, pp. 109–120 (2003)Google Scholar