Musical Pattern Extraction Using Genetic Algorithms
This paper describes a research work in which we study the possibility of applying genetic algorithms to the extraction of musical patterns in monophonic musical pieces. Each individual in the population represents a possible segmentation of the piece being analysed. The goal is to find a segmentation that allows the identification of the most significant patterns of the piece. In order to calculate an individual’s fitness, all its segments are compared among each other. The bigger the area occupied by similar segments the better the quality of the segmentation.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Genetic Operator Learning Operator Musical Piece Left Limit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rolland, P.Y., Ganascia, J.G.: Musical Pattern Extraction and Similarity Assessment. In: Miranda, E.M. (ed.) Readings in Music and Artificial Intelligence, pp. 115–144. Harwood Academic (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Cambouropoulos, E.:Towards a General Computational Theory of Musical Structure. PhD Thesis, University of Edinburgh (1998) Google Scholar
- 4.Meredith, D., Wiggins, G.A., Lemström, K.: Pattern Induction and Matching in Polyphonic Music and Other Multi-dimensional Datasets. In: Proceedings of the 5th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (SCI2001), vol. X, pp. 61–66 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Mitchell, M.: An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms. MIT Press, Cambridge (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Pereira, F.: Estudo das Interações entre Evolução e Aprendizagem em Ambientes de Computação Evolucionária. PhD Thesis, Universidade de Coimbra (2002) Google Scholar
- 7.Stephen, G.: String Search. Technical Report, School of Electronic Engineering Science, University College of North Wales (1992) Google Scholar
- 8.Ruwet, N.: Langage, Musique, Poésie. Editions du Seuil, Paris (1972) Google Scholar
- 9.Perttu, S.: Combinatorial Pattern Matching in Musical Sequences. Master’s Thesis, University of Helsinki, Series of Publications, C-2000-38 (2000)Google Scholar