A Security Embedded Text Compression Algorithm
Although conventional compression tools achieve good compression rates, they ignore the security issue. This study presents the design and implementation of a lossless compression algorithm with embedded security to fill that gap. The scheme introduced is a system with encoding and decoding and is oriented for text type of data. It is implemented on sample text files from standard English Calgary Corpus. Two ideas, one hiding the encryption key by using a PRNG and the other employing multiple iterations to dissipate language statistics, are suggested to strengthen the security of the system. Both ideas are implemented and promising results have been obtained.
KeywordsFinite State Machine Compression Algorithm Source Language Pseudo Random Number Generator Multiple Iteration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Witten, I., Moffat, A., Bell, T.C.: Managing Gigabytes, San Fransisco (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Nelson, M.: The Data Compression Book. M&T Publishing, NewYork (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Nelson, M.: Arith. Coding+Stat. Modeling=Data Comp. Dr. Dobb’s Journal (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Teahan, W.J.: Modelling English Text, PhD Thesis, Univ. of Waikato, NZ (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Burrows, M., Wheeler, D.J.: A Block-Sorting Lossless Comp. Alg. SRC, USA (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Stallings, W.: Cryptography and Network Security. Prentice Hall, NJ (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Dalkilic, G.: Statistical Properties of Contemporary Turkish and a Text Compression Application., MSc.Thesis. Ege Univ., Turkey (2001) (in Turkish)Google Scholar
- 8.Calgary Corpus, ftp.cpcs.ucalgary.ca/pub/projects/text.compression.corpus
- 9.Menezes, A., van Oorschot, P., Vanstone, S.: Handbook of Crypto. CRC Press, Boca Raton (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Gomathi,D.:enzyme.vol.1,ch-6Google Scholar