“More Deterministic” vs. “Smaller” Büchi Automata for Efficient LTL Model Checking
The standard technique for LTL model checking (\(M \vDash \neg \varphi\)) consists on translating the negation of the LTL specification, ϕ, into a Büchi automaton A ϕ , and then on checking if the product M ×A ϕ has an empty language. The efforts to maximize the efficiency of this process have so far concentrated on developing translation algorithms producing Büchi automata which are “as small as possible”, under the implicit conjecture that this fact should make the final product smaller. In this paper we build on a different conjecture and present an alternative approach in which we generate instead Büchi automata which are “as deterministic as possible”, in the sense that we try to reduce as much as we are able to the presence of non-deterministic decision states in A ϕ . We motivate our choice and present some empirical tests to support this approach.
- 2.Emerson, E.A.: Temporal and Modal Logic. In: van Leeuwen, J. (ed.) Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, vol. B, pp. 995–1072. Elsevier Science Publisher B.V., Amsterdam (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.Gerth, R., Peled, D., Vardi, M., Wolper, P.: Simple on-the-fly automatic verification of linear temporal logic. In: Proc. 15th IFIP/WG6.1 Symposium on Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, Warzaw, Poland, Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Giannakopoulou, D., Lerda, F.: From States to Transitions: Improving Translation of LTL Formulae to Büchi Automata. In: Peled, D.A., Vardi, M.Y. (eds.) FORTE 2002. LNCS, vol. 2529, Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Giunchiglia, F., Sebastiani, R.: Building decision procedures for modal logics from propositional decision procedures – the case study of modal K(m). Information and Computation 162(1/2) (October/November 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Kupferman, O., Vardi, M.Y.: Freedom,Weakness, and Determinism: From Linear-time to Branching-time. In: Proc. 13th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (June 1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Tauriainen, H.: A Randomized Testbench for Algorithms Translating Linear Temporal Logic Formulae into Büchi Automata. In: Proceedings of the Concurrency, Specification and Programming 1999 Workshop (CS&P 1999), Warsaw University, September 1999, pp. 251–262 (1999)Google Scholar