Semi-automatic Image Registration of MRI to CT Data of the Prostate Using Gold Markers as Fiducials
An accurate image registration of MRI to CT data is of great benefit for prostate treatment planning in image-guided radiotherapy. However, prostate motion with respect to surrounding structures and absence of clear structures in and of the prostate in the CT image, complicate this registration. Therefore, we developed a semi-automatic method for a robust, accurate and time efficient image registration of MRI to CT data of the prostate, making use of gold markers, that are inserted in the prostate, as fiducials. The gold markers, as they appear on both images, are segmented using a thresholding technique. The registration deals with a rigid transformation and is based on the iterative closest point algorithm that acts onto the surfaces of the segmented gold markers. The method is clinically tested and uncertainties of 0.4-0.5 mm and 0.7-1.4 mm are obtained at the centre and at the rim of the prostate, respectively.
KeywordsCompute Tomography Image Image Registration Intensity Modulate Radiation Therapy Magnetic Resonance Imaging Image Compute Tomography Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Maintz, J.B.A., Viergever, M.A.: Medical Image Analysis 2(1), 1 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Engelbrecht, M., et al.: Dynamic MR imaging of prostate cancer: dynamic features for cancer detection (2002) (submitted to Radiology)Google Scholar
- 7.Kaji, Y., et al.: Radiology 206(3), 785 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Scheidler, J.: Radiology 213(2), 473 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.van Dorsten, F., et al.: Radiology 221(P), 585 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Welmers, A., et al.: 3D Image Fusion of CT with Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI and MR Spectroscopy of the Prostate Using Gold Markers as Fiducials. Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Abstracts, Suppl. to Radiology 225(P), 350 (2002) (Presented at RSNA 2002)Google Scholar
- 23.The Visualization Toolkit User’s Guide, ISBN 1-930934-08-4, published by Kitware; The Visualization Toolkit, An Object-Oriented Approach To 3D Graphics, 3rd edition, ISBN 1-930934-07-6, published by Kitware, http://public.kitware.com/VTK/
- 29.see, e.g., Morrison, D.F.: Multivariate Statistical Methods. McGraw-Hill, New York (1967), http://online.sfsu.edu/~efc/classes/biol710/manova/manovanew.htm